First Batch No Bubbles after 24 hours

Personally I wouldn’t sweat the scissors on your part, unless you just cut up a lb of bologna with it. I just want to say don’t give up keep at it. It gets easier.

The sanitation issue was cutting the yeast pack with scissors that had not been sanitized. I’d say the green olives and apple is a close approzimation. I’ve read up a good deal since that first batch and I really feel like the fermentation temps are probably the culprit. Either way I’m being much more careful about sanitation and keeping fermentation temps to the low 60s on the fermometer, allowing them to rise to 68-70 after the first week or so. The stout in secondary tastes great, I have a Rye Porter in an ale pale that’s driving me nuts because I can’t see it and just pitched the Innkeeper late last night. Definitely keeping at it…quitting was never an option :smiley: [/quote]

I keep a bucket of Star san on hand at all time. I also believe fermentation temp was the issue with my first two batches. They were in my little nephews closet. Big temp swing between day and night. I have been at it now for almost two years and the amount of equipment and progress improvement is alarming. The starsan will stay good for quit some time if you keep it covered and fairly clean (don’t dunk to many beer glasses in it from a stout as it’ll turn brown. I bet it still works but I don’t like it when it gets discolored." Keep up the good work I’m waiting on a break in the weather to get a few brews in stinking winter.