First batch in the bottle... remind me to be patient

I thought I was doing well with this being patient thing, but I’m twitchy to crack open a bottle of my first batch (NB St. Paul Porter extract kit). I bottled a week and a half ago, so I’m sure it’s too early, but I can’t wait! I guess I’m pretty addicted to the hobby now, as my second batch (NB Winter Warmer extract kit) is in the secondary. Where it needs to sit for a month. I either need to learn to be patient or pick up a few extra carboys…

Do both. Pick up spare carboys and be patient.

But, 10 days in the bottle certainly is justification to sample just one :cheers:

[quote=“560sdl”]Do both. Pick up spare carboys and be patient.

But, 10 days in the bottle certainly is justification to sample just one :cheers: [/quote]
+100

wait until you start doing lagers. that’ll test your patience. :lol:

I’ve read lagers will poke your eye out :shock:

only if you make fun of their suspenders. 8)

To help appease your desire to check out the carbonation on “just one” - fill a 1L or 2L PET bottle along with the other bottles, stop about an inch from the top, squeeze the sides to make the beer rise to the lip, then screw the cap on tight. As the bottle carbs, it’ll push the beer level down and inflate the bottle - when the sides resist being squeezed you know that the rest of the batch is carbed as well.

And don’t use a plastic amber root beer bottle. Unless you want you sample to taste like beer/root beer. It’s not a good combo.

Definitely wishing I’d done that, and will be doing that with batch #2

Unflavored seltzer bottles work for “test” bottles. No flavor to add and designed for carbonated beverages.

The wait is tough. Go to your local beer store and buy a sixer of some nice micro brewed stuff to hold you over. You know your going to try your beer too early anyway but then you will still have the sixer. :roll:

[quote=“HD4Mark”]Unflavored seltzer bottles work for “test” bottles. No flavor to add and designed for carbonated beverages.[/quote]Yeah, I use generic club soda bottles, $0.50 for 1L and $0.77 for 2L.

I’m happy to report, the first bottle tasted pretty darned good… it could certainly use a little more time to carbonate, but it was drinkable as is. And tasted like beer. Good beer. Not “I guess I could drink it if it were in my fridge” good, but actually good. I had fears of sitting on two cases of grossness, but I’m quite happy…

Thanks for letting me have my happy dance moment.

Now to wait for that second batch… and plan the third…

To test your patience even further, I wound up holding on to my St. Pauls for 6 months. I had a new batch that was bottled for about 3 weeks and did a side by side comparison. Get some light, quick session beers brewing so you can save these porters!! OH SO SMOOOOOOOTH!

:cheers: