First attempt Belgian IPA

Looking for feedback

Grain:
Pils : Wheat at about 80:20 ratio. OG ~1.060. I’ll only have about an 8 week timeframe before serving to work with, so I don;t want to go too high on gravity.

Hops:
I am seeing recipes with a combo of noble and american hops, particularly saaz, hallertau and cascade. I’m thinking of shooting for approx 50-60 IBU (as opposed to my AIPAs that are more toward 80-90). Probably getting the hop flavor from mid-late additions at 15 min and 5 min. I’m thinking just 1 oz total at each flavoring additon.

+/- on corriander and prange peel

+/- on dry hopping

WY 3787 is the only Belgian strain I have used, and like it. I would use that again but open to suggestions. 64 deg to start then rise to mid 70’s.

Appreciate any suggestions!

If you are going for coriander and orange peel, I would suggest 86’ing those and just using a saison yeast, such as 3711 french saison (though that might reduce the authenticity of your belgian IPA) or WLP 566 Saison II. Either is easy to work with and will give you great pepper and citrus esters.

I had GREAT results recently with an 100% brett fermented saison/pale ale with a galaxy bittering (you could use anything), then a 30 minute galaxy hopstand with 3oz/5gallon. I would think a combo of cascade and saaz used this way would rock. Not sure if the hallertauer will give this beer any notable flavor contributions next to saaz and cascade.

ferment schedule and grain bill look great.

edit: if you are looking for plummy/raisiny esters, go ahead with the trappist yeast. I just saw the orange/coriander and was a little confused as to what you may be going for.

Thanks Pietro. Do you agree with my OG:IBU?

Did you dry hop yours?

I’m a huge fan of the hopstand in traditional IPAs. Sounds like it could be a good plan here, just toning down the amount a bit.

I think the BU:GU ratio looks good, but you can push the hops higher if you are using a hopstand.

Haven’t decided whether I will dry hop mine yet. It tastes mighty good as is, even flat, warm and full of yeast. I think I may serve it as-is and let the brett dryness shine.

Been experimenting with Belgians lately. One of the first Belgians I made I dry hopped and it was good but it seemed to get better as the dry hop flavor faded over time. I haven’t dry hopped any since. Trying to see what flavors I can get from the yeasts and have been very happy with the results.

My personal preference for Belgian IPA recipe leans toward a milder Belgian yeast character so it does not clash with the hops. (I dry-hop.) I really like Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes for an IPA as opposed to the Belgian Saison or Trappist/Abbey strains.

I’ve modeled my recipes around Belgo and Raging Bitch, with the following characteristics:

• Pale ale, honey and a little caramel 120 malt
  • Amarillo, Centennial, Summit and Simcoe in the boil
  • Amarillo and Cascade dry hop (hop combinations still evolving)
  • OG of 1.063
  • 60 IBUs
  • 0.935 IBU/SG

I love me a good Belgian IPA. :smiley:

Great info above, and much appreciated.

I have read that the Ardennes (sp?) yeast is good for style and also can have a quicker turn-around time. So I am going to go that route. It needs to be ready by 8 weeks.

I have also read accounts of the saaz/cascade flavor combo working well so long as the ratio is heavy toward the saaz. So I am going to go with something like a 2:1 ratio in favor of the saaz. I’ll probablly use 3 oz total, havent yet decided whether that will be as a hop-stand or split up into late boil additions.

Feeling confident on th OG:BU ratio just shy of 1:1.

Thanks again!

sorry to bump this one, but hope the OP can keep us updated on this brew. Also, @Tom that looks like great advice from someone who has brewed these. Can you pinpoint what phenols/esters you are getting from that yeast? It is like the Fat Tire or Palm (I think those are fermented with a similar/identical yeast) pepper/malt accentuation?

So today was brew day. Took day off work, and actually ran two batches staggered by 90 minutes. Not something I would have done by choice but holidays are approaching and have to fill up the inventory!

So my attention was split and had a small hiccup with the Belgian IPA where I over shot on end volume a bit. I made up the gravity with a half pound of candi sugar.

10.5 pils
2 wheat malt
2 flaked wheat
0.5 clear candi sugar

Warrior to bitter
1 oz Saaz, 0.5 oz cascade at 15
same at 5
0.5 saaz 0.5 cascade flameout

OG 1.059, total IBU will likely be about 50 given unintended volume increase.

It’s in the fridge and I’ll pitch the WY Ardennes when it gets down to 62.

I will say that the saaz/cascade combo smelled very interesting, in a good way considering the style.

Keep an eye on that 3522 as I have had to go to a blow-off more than once. It can be sort of violent, and my experience with that strain is to keep the temp steady at first. It might slow way down if it drops.

Thank you I will keep that in mind.

WHat is your preferred staring temp? ending temp?

I guess that’s personal preference, I like to start my Belgians at 65-68 deg., then after it falls back bump to 70-74 deg. to finish. I use 1/2 gal starters up to 1.065 and 60 sec. of pure oxy to ferment, but that’s my taste buds. I hold them back at first because I hate off flavors and fusels, and prefer the pure taste of the strain in somewhat moderation. You will find your own taste. Good luck.

It’s going to be a good one

It is a little hard to say with all the hoppiness and I am very poor at describing flavors and aromas, but I would have to say the spiciness was most notable, with some/just a little fruitiness way in the background. My fermentation temps were 69-72, in August in the basement without temperature control.

Good advice. Don’t know why you pitched at 62 deg. I chill mine to just under 68 and pitch with great results