First all grain

How do I go from extract brewing where the instructions are clearly defined step by step… To all grain where the instructions are a bit more vague [attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]. This would be the first all grain that I will attempt to do. But how much water? What’s the strike temp? How much sparge? Am I missing something? My wife bought the wrong kit as a Father’s Day gift and it gives me the opportunity to do something I wanted to try. I have ordered all the necessary equipment and it will be here next week. I guess the kit name is fitting at this point

Whew, you are in a bit of a conundrum…I see a few options. Try to figure out all grain on the fly in a short period of time(I wouldn’t ), try partial mash for a few brews with a different kit(that’s the way I went prior to going to all grain brewing, or quietly return the kit so your wife won’t know :mrgreen:

Look in the faq tab on this forum. There’s an article about going all grain that is helpful.

I say go for it. There’s a lot of nuance to improving all grain, but its simple to just make beer. Are you doing boil in bag? Batch sparge? Fly sparge? Essentially, if you heat up a little more than half your water to 160-165, mix with grain, wait an hour, then rinse the grain with the remaining water, you’ll make beer. Don’t get worked up about mash PH, brewhouse vs mash efficiency, etc yet.

You’ve ordered the necessary equipment? What are you getting? The big upgrade you need from extract to all grain is a mash tun; this can be a cooler or a second pot; both work the same conceptually but have separate “tricks and tips” (I use a cooler)

In terms that made sense to me when I transitioned, Mashing is like “steeping specialty grains” only on a much larger scale. You also need to hold that temp in a roughly 10 degree window for an hour or so.

Dennybrew.com is an incredible resource too, written by Denny Con who is a regular on this forum.
Just read it a couple times; my first time through, I was like “Eff that, it’s too much.” Then the second and third time through it started making sense. There’s a lot of great information surrounding a straightforward process. The page may not have been updated since 08, but that’s because it hasn’t needed to be.

Just like extract brewing gave you a few new vocabulary words, like wort and krausen, AG brewing has a couple to add like sparge, and vourlauf.

Once the wort is in the kettle, AG is just like (full boil) extract brewing, but no worries about scorched extract on the bottom of the kettle, or late extract additions to keep color under control…

I did the Extract to AG transition by way of Partial Mash too; and frankly I’m not a fan of the PM process. To me, it has all the headaches of AG and extract combined, with few of the advantages of either. That’s just my opinion; I don’t mean it to be flame bait.

No flame here. You are right. Probably the reason no one stays with partial mash. It just makes the transition somewhat less precipitous of a leap.

If you don’t have a tun you can do biab easy. Alls you need is a pot at least 8 gallons. Heat your water about 10 degrees hotter than the recipe calls for in the single infusion and steep for an hour. Don’t worry about the mash out until you get a tun.

Thank you for all your responses!! I ordered the merga pot 1.2, the all grain starter kit and a wort chiller. But not sure about what type of sparge… The FAQ on all grain helped some. I have been wanting to go all grain and this gives me the opportunity to jump right in. LOL wife bought the kit so she could hardly complain about the extra equipment

dennybrew.com I kept the website up on my tv while doing my first all-grain. Hit my numbers and found it was much easier than I thought. The guys on this forum are incredible and can help guide you through most situations. Not sure I would pay the money for that all-grain starter kit though. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

:cheers:

Plus 1.060 for brewmanchu!

Read DennyBrew.com. Twice.

Read howtobrew.com and bookmark it.

All grain is really not hard. I watched a couple you tube videos and jumped right in. I don’t think you learn anything by doing extract that you won’t learn doing all grain. The most important piece of equipment IMO is a good thermometer, next a hydrometer.

I recommend watching a few videos too. The vocab may make things sound more complicated than they are. Lautering ? WTF. Oh you mean pouring water on the grains and collecting liquid. Not so bad. Granted there a lot to learn, a lot to refine and some gear to buy but all grain is really only one extra step. Read up ask question and go for it :cheers: