First All Grain

So I just finished building my MLT (HD Rubbermaid with WL151 spigot + bazooka tube) and I want to try an all grain batch very soon. I have done several partial grain + extract lagers and I don’t have a location to ferment at ale temperatures - sustained temperature 58*F. With that said, I’d like to get some suggestions for a beginner to intermediate all grain recipe to start this new found addiction. Unfortunately I only have one carboy…so for now I can only brew 5 gallons at a time. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions! - :cheers:

Are you saying that it will have to ferment at 58F? At that temperature a lot of ale yeast won’t work. You could do a Kolsch or Altbier - the different German Ale yeasts like it cool. If you want to do an A/IPA or similar, you can use Nottingham, but you’re at the lower temp limit - you probably want to over-pitch and wrap the carboy in a blanket or something. What kind of beer do you like, and what grains and hops do you have?

I’m sorry, must have misled the intro. I have only brewed lagers at this point, which is why I mentioned the low temp for fermentation - my office closet, cold and no light. I just polished off an extract Kolsch which turned out super! and have a Maibock and Octoberfest lagering in kegs @ ~34F in the garage. Since my fermentation temperatures are low and its bitter cold where I live - New Mexico Mountains - I want to brew lagers until it warms up. I have two brewer shops near me with an abundant supply of ingredients, hops and liquid\dry yeast. I’m just looking for something that doesn’t require a 3-4 step mash. What I’ve researched so far, and the beers I like (mentioned above) they require some protein rest, beta sacch’ rest, and more. Looking for something that I can mash ~150-160F for 60+min, boil, add hops, cool and pitch yeast. Thanks again :smiley:

Today’s highly modified malts do not require step mashes. And if done may be detrimental to the beer.

Do a single infusing at 148-152 and call it a beer.

Many ale yeast will ferment at 58* ambient temp fine. US-05 specifically. When fermentation gets going it will actually be 62-67*.

Even when external temperature of room is ~58*F, sustained no fluctuation? Should I be using some carboy cover\insulator if I decide to brew an ale or would you recommend I use some lager yeast with an ale recipe…I was contemplating doing that as well. -Thanks

Even when external temperature of room is ~58*F, sustained no fluctuation? Should I be using some carboy cover\insulator if I decide to brew an ale or would you recommend I use some lager yeast with an ale recipe…I was contemplating doing that as well. -Thanks[/quote]

Fermentation generates heat.

I have a lager (safale 34/70) in the fridge right now with a temp controller set to 51*. And a pale ale (us-05) in a freezer set to 61. The temp probe is taped to the side of the carboy with a layer of paper towels to insulate it from the ambient temp.

You can do what ever you want, the joy of home brewing. Different temps, different yeast will produce different beers. The beers will we good, or bad, depending on your palate.

1. Right on man, exactly what I needed to hear. Good talk. thanks.

I’ve fermented as low as 53° ambient with US-05 and I recall Denny fermenting 1007 in the mid 40s.