Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First all grain. Water amount?

Hello,
Finally got the equipment for all grain and bought the urca vanilla pro series kit from our sponsor. My question is, how much water am I suppose to mash in with and sparge with? Its a 5 gallon kit, so I know I want to end up with 6 gallons roughly to account for boil off on a 60 min boil. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mash with whatever ratio works for you. I usually us 1.6-1.75 qt./lb., but anything from 1.25-2 qt./lb. is fine. I batch sparge,so if you are too you can measure how much wort you get from the mash runoff, and sparge with enough water to get your boil volume.

That will work. Thanks

The answer can be found at Denny’s site, found in his signature.

Just remember that:
R1=initial runoff volume which = mash water volume - water absorbed by grain
(assumed to be .1 gal./lb. for this example since that’s the way my system works…use your own figure)

S= batch sparge water volume
V= total boil volume (amount in needed in kettle for boil)
I=volume of infusions for a step mash

R1+I+S(1)+S(2)+S(etc.) must equal V
AND
R1+I=.5V

After you finish your work, you can check your answers here before taking the test on brew day.
:wink:

http://gnipsel.com/beer/software/beer-software.html

Another handy calculator one of the board members put together.

[quote=“dsiets”]The answer can be found at Denny’s site, found in his signature.

Just remember that:
R1=initial runoff volume which = mash water volume - water absorbed by grain
(assumed to be .1 gal./lb. for this example since that’s the way my system works…use your own figure)

S= batch sparge water volume
V= total boil volume (amount in needed in kettle for boil)
I=volume of infusions for a step mash

R1+I+S(1)+S(2)+S(etc.) must equal V
AND
R1+I=.5V [/quote]

Yep, you can do that. I seldom do anymore, but hey, it’s a choice!

Somewhere I recall reading that efficiency peaks at 1.75 qts per lb, Denny did you do something on that or was it in an NHC presentation this past summer? That may have been a system-specific result, too, but I have been using it lately with good results.

I’ve seen some of the math and equations theorizing efficiency by how the batch sparge is split but my experience has been that as I’ve moved from 1.25 qts per lbs up towards 1.75 qts per lbs my efficiency has increased ~5% to ~80%, tried that based off what Denny said his experience has been. I’ve played with no sparge on a few low gravity beers and my efficiency goes back down to ~70%.

That’s from Kai Troester’s work on conversion efficiency.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... efficiency

In my system, when I go below 1.5 quarts per pound, my efficiency suffers. I’ve had good luck between 1.5-2. When I live by this rule, I consistently 84-86% with Rahr 2-row and 87-90% with Maris Otter.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com