Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First All Grain in Years - Trial Run

I got back into brewing a few years back. In my previous brewing life, I brewed all-grain and shared equipment with a buddy. After several moves, etc., I quit brewing for some reason. In my recent adventures back into brewing the last few years, I was pretty much an extract brewer and quite satisfied, but something was missing. I augmented my equipment recently to get back to all-grain. Did a trial run today just to see how things went. Since I was almost out of DME for yeast starters, I figured I would use the trial run as a batch for canning wort for yeast starters. Everything went well and I now know my system. I did a small batch and the last group of cans are in the pressure cooker at 15 psi for 15 minutes. Now I have a good supply (15 quarts) of sterile wort ready for quick starters.
:cheers:

Welcome back :smiley:

I’m in a similar boat and just pulled my all grain equipment out, cleaned it up and did a basic equipment check.

Welcome back from the dark side…

John

Brewed a batch of American Amber Ale today (NB all grain kit). Learned the maximum capacity of my MLT (5-gallon round cooler). 9-1/2 pounds of grain pretty much maxed things out with 3 gallons of runoff for both the 1st and 2nd. Still ended up with only about 4.5 gallons in the primary. Any bigger grain bill would likely require a 3rd runoff. I probably will end up getting a bigger cooler. According to the instruction, the OG was supposed to be around 1.047, but I had 1.054 (only about 4.5 gallons in primary) with an accurate hydrometer.
Here are a couple pics of my high tech setup: (10 gallon pot sitting on burner that is actually more sturdy than it looks, that board is fixed to the metal can)

TrapperMike, that is a nice view from your porch…

John

Thanks John,
I’m hoping I can hold out here until retirement, but that’s a ways off yet.
Mike

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com