Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First All Grain - Check Me

I’ll be brewing my first AG this weekend. It’ll either be a SA Boston Lager clone or a simple California Common…haven’t decided yet and it might come down to what LHBS has available for ingredients.

I have my 10 gallon Igloo round beverage cooler and LHBS is going to help me convert it for my mash tun. I will be batch sparging.

The process is where I need confirmation from you all.

My grain bill will be 10lbs for a 5 gallon batch.

1. Mash in with 3.50gal of water. Strike temp 166F (grain temp 70F).
  2. Sacch’ Rest at 152F for 60 minutes
  3. Start heating 5.50gal of sparge water to 185F
  4. Vorlauf then drain into boil kettle
  5. Add sparge water and stir thoroughly
  6. Vorlauf and drain into boil kettle
  7. Bring to boil as normal with hop additions etc etc etc proceeding as usual

I used a mash and sparge water calculator from “Brew 365” website.

Please make any corrections or adjustments and suggestions as I’m anxious to learn AG brewing.

Looks good, although I think that is a lot of sparge liquor. A quick glance at some of my own sessions with around 10lb grain bills and I am using 8G total water and end up with 5.5G. Do you know your boil off rate? In any event, it takes a few session to dial it all in. Worst case, you might end up extending your boil if needed.

Good luck!

On my only other 5 gallon partial mash, my boil off was about 1 gallon in an hour. I’ve read elsewhere that splitting the total water equally between strike water and sparge water is common. This makes it pretty easy too.

So I should just split my two runoffs and make them equal amounts? I’d be happy if I landed between 5 and 5.5 gallon of wort post boil.

I usually shoot for equal running on most beers, here’s how I do it:

You want 5.5 gallons post boil and you boil off 1 gallon/hour, that’s 6.5 gallons pre boil volume. Divided by half gives you 3.25 gallons for the mash and sparge each, your grain absorption is going to be around a gallon (I figure .12 gal/lbs on my set up) for a 10# grist, add that to the mash in volume. So…

Mash in with 4.25 gallons, collect 3.25
Sparge with 3.25 gallons, collect 3.25

Before you brew, measure 2 gallons or so of water and dump it in your mash tun. Let it run out like you were draining a mash and see how much is left after it quits running, that’s your MT dead space and it needs to be added to your mash in volume.

if you want equal amounts for both runnungs there will be more water needed for your strike than for the sparge.

[quote=“sonex”]if you want equal amounts for both runnungs there will be more water needed for your strike than for the sparge.[/quot

edit; GM brewing beat me. just follow his post. :oops:

[quote=“Glug Master”]I usually shoot for equal running on most beers, here’s how I do it:

You want 5.5 gallons post boil and you boil off 1 gallon/hour, that’s 6.5 gallons pre boil volume. Divided by half gives you 3.25 gallons for the mash and sparge each, your grain absorption is going to be around a gallon (I figure .12 gal/lbs on my set up) for a 10# grist, add that to the mash in volume. So…

Mash in with 4.25 gallons, collect 3.25
Sparge with 3.25 gallons, collect 3.25

Before you brew, measure 2 gallons or so of water and dump it in your mash tun. Let it run out like you were draining a mash and see how much is left after it quits running, that’s your MT dead space and it needs to be added to your mash in volume.[/quote]

Finally a simple explanation!!! Thank you!!

+1 for splitting the water. Also as to heating to 185 for the sparge. I have never found that I hit my target of 170 unless I get the water to around 195.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com