First 2013 Brew

Have an Oktoberfest and a Hoppy Black Lager out in the garage lagering.
Brewed a Special Bitter on 1/1 that I put together with ingredients I had on hand. It’s bubbling nicely.
Ordered NBs Irish Red and Dark Cherry Stout kits. Should be in the first of next week.

Sierra Madre pale Ale.

Barry

BTW - Ain’t gonna admit to just how many gal’s I brewed last year.

I added it up and :shock:

[quote=“Vulkin’”]Sierra Madre pale Ale.

Barry

BTW - Ain’t gonna admit to just how many gal’s I brewed last year.

I added it up and :shock: [/quote]
Go ahead, you can admit it to us. We understand.
I haven’t brewed yet this year, simply because of how much I brewed last year. I am finally getting the inventory down a bit, all but one keg is now in refrigeration (I have space for five). One of my New Years resolutions is not to brew so much that it goes to waste. Its part of a more general austerity plan designed to save money for kids’ college tuition.

Pliny The Elder Clone

seeing as how my canadian breakfast stout kicked way earlier than i thought (I had 1.5 cases of bottles ready to bottle the rest of a keg and ended up with twelve!), I may brew my St. Valentines Day Massacre Stout this weekend (milk stout with raspberry/cocoa nib secondary), but I need to get a sessionable beer ready too.

I may get on my ‘lager run’ sooner than later, which includes:

-hoppy cream ale, which will be the starter for and the drinker while I’m lagering:
-trad bock or german pils
-CAP

Not only the fist brew of 2013 but first brew ever!

It’s going to be an American Brown Ale. Nothing too fancy.

I am just waiting on my final piece of equipment to come in the mail and I will be on my way. I should be brewing in the next week or so.

Making my first saison tomorrow. Batch # 196 at that…

7 Pilsner
2 Wheat
1 1/2 Munich
1/16 acid malt

1/3 Belma–60
2/3 Citra–10

Wy3711 French Saison

Had to shovel out a space in the yard and will be wearing studded footwear for slip safety. Should be fun.

[quote=“klyphman”]Making my first saison tomorrow. Batch # 196 at that…

7 Pilsner
2 Wheat
1 1/2 Munich
1/16 acid malt

1/3 Belma–60
2/3 Citra–10

Wy3711 French Saison

Had to shovel out a space in the yard and will be wearing studded footwear for slip safety. Should be fun.[/quote]

No simple sugar? Be safe on the ice!

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“klyphman”]Making my first saison tomorrow. Batch # 196 at that…

7 Pilsner
2 Wheat
1 1/2 Munich
1/16 acid malt

1/3 Belma–60
2/3 Citra–10

Wy3711 French Saison

Had to shovel out a space in the yard and will be wearing studded footwear for slip safety. Should be fun.[/quote]

No simple sugar? Be safe on the ice![/quote]

Nah, I’ve read a lot about this yeast and it seems to eat through anything available, often finishing at 1.002-1.004 in recipes w/o adjunct sugar. We’ll see though…

Settled on a Vinter Pils:

10 gallon batch

14 lbs pilsner
3 lbs vienna
1 lb carapils
1 oz Herkules 14.5 AA (60 min)
1 oz Northern Brewer 8.5 AA (10 min)

7.5 grams CaCl added to bottled spring water

34/70 slurry from a Vienna Lager that is being racked to keg today.

:cheers:

[quote=“klyphman”][quote=“Pietro”][quote=“klyphman”]Making my first saison tomorrow. Batch # 196 at that…

7 Pilsner
2 Wheat
1 1/2 Munich
1/16 acid malt

1/3 Belma–60
2/3 Citra–10

Wy3711 French Saison

Nah, I’ve read a lot about this yeast and it seems to eat through anything available, often finishing at 1.002-1.004 in recipes w/o adjunct sugar. We’ll see though…[/quote]
I love that yeast, it finishes super dry but still gives great body.

Just got cleaned up after brewing the Rye Stout from NB (extract).

I’ll brew the Irish Dry Stout in a couple weeks to have a nice mix and enough quantity on hand for St Paddy’s day. :smiley:

Brewed a 1.090 porter on January 1. It will be oaked and enjoyed next Christmas.

That sounds awesome!

[quote=“klyphman”][quote=“Pietro”][quote=“klyphman”]Making my first saison tomorrow. Batch # 196 at that…

7 Pilsner
2 Wheat
1 1/2 Munich
1/16 acid malt

1/3 Belma–60
2/3 Citra–10

Wy3711 French Saison

Nah, I’ve read a lot about this yeast and it seems to eat through anything available, often finishing at 1.002-1.004 in recipes w/o adjunct sugar. We’ll see though…[/quote]

Wowsers…will have to check that one out. I’ve been a fan of wl566 since it is a beast, but it’s never gotten down that low. Some have criticized 566 for not being saisony enough. I personally like subtlety in the saisonyness, but dry as the Sahara.

Pm me how that turns out if u remember.

10 gallons of a Pliny The Elder clone fermenting away at 62f.

New Years day my son and I brewed a double IPA. This is my first try at a large IPA and hope by the
time he returns home in June or July is will be better than we hoped for.

Brewed a Black IPA on the 1st and yesterday brewed a Two Hearted Clone. Now I am moving into a lager period because I cannot brew quite as often due to work and a trip in late March.

Batch 65 on Saturday 01-05-2013. Second version of a IPA I’m working on for my house IPA.

“JaimeBräu”, a gluten free experiment for my friend Jim who was found to have Celiac disease.

2 1/2 gallon batch:

3 lb sorghum syrup
1/2 lb Belgium Candi
1/2 oz Kent Golding @ 60 min
1/4 oz Northern Brewer @ 30 min.
US04