Fining - Kieselol/Chitosan

Hey,
I recently used typical two part fining mix - Kieselol followed by Chitosan in a White wine.
Part one Kieselol the wine was crystal clear after one day but after adding part two to counterfine, I am left with a light haze that has persisted into two weeks. I know, I know I should have tested proportions on a small sample to get the counterfining just right but this is a 6 Gal batch and I am lazy. Advice for counterfining the remaining haze??
Cheers

Ari,

Best clearing agent, hands-down, is time.

Of course, one of the sell features of a wine kit is the quick production schedule (!), so there are some things that you can do to get back on track.

Chitosan is a polysaccharide, but tends to behave like a protein/colloid fining in kits. If nothing happens to clear it by the end of the week you can do a bench trial with a pinch of bentonite to see if that clears it up.

Finings are really the toughest part of making small volume wines–a pro winemaker of my acquaintance won’t even try a kit because he can’t successfully make wine in volumes less than ten hectolitres–so when things don’t work out the first go, bench trials are really your friend.

Let me know how it goes.

Tim