Finally finished Designing Great Beers!

Well, it took me several months (been very busy at work), but I finally got through this book. Whew! That is one information dense book! With every brewing book I read, I have a few aha! moments where something just clicks, and this book was no exception. Ray puts emphasis on a BU:GU ratio comparing IBU’s and OG’s to achieve the correct balance in each beer style. I’ve too often calculated out the proper amount of hops to add ahead of time not keeping in mind if I was short on gravity or got more out of my mash than expected that I have to adjust those bittering hops. Ray also focused on the attenuation of each beer style which I’ve never given much thought until now. Using certain mash temperatures has always been in my procedures, but using certain yeasts to achieve a desired level of attenuation is something I haven’t. This will certainly push me to experiment with more yeasts. In conclusion, I know many of you voiced the opinion that this is a very dry read, I would recommend reading it or at least have it as a reference that contains a lot of useful numbers.

2 Likes

It’s probably been six or seven years since I’ve read that book. I think I’ll have to dust it off and give it another read - it’s a good one!

Maybe a good one for the winter darkness… grab a pint and read next to the wood stove!! Sneezles61

Took me a while to finish it as well. But very usefull info in the book. Next project to start playing with the water. Book. And start using info. To adjust my water

1 Like

Isn’t it great? I never tire of that book. Its only drawback is that it could use a little upgrade since a lot has changed since the 1990s. But it’s still awesome information and the way it was presented was just perfect.

1 Like