Filtering from secondary

I have a beer dry hopping in 4 ounces of leaf and pellet hops. I took a sample yesterday (day 2 of dry hop) and I was almost able to chew the beer there was so much hop particles floating around. The particles were to small I don’t think using a mulsin back on the siphon tube would be of any use.

I’ve never used paint strainer bags before but are these fine enough to filter out the hop particles? How would you suggest using this? Just put one in the bottling bucket and siphon into the bag? Would I need to worry about losing a lot of yeast in suspension for carbing purposes?

Cold crash it. The hops settle down nicely.

Also…more time (obviously).

Last time I dry hopped, the leaves were floating on the top for several days before starting to settle down.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Cold crash it. The hops settle down nicely.

Also…more time (obviously).

Last time I dry hopped, the leaves were floating on the top for several days before starting to settle down.[/quote]

Sorry I didn’t include this in the OP but I don’t have the ability to cold crash. This would be the ideal situation and I will hopefully be able to find room for a chest freezer as a ferm/cold crash chamber in the near future.

2 days is not enough time for the hops to drop out of suspension. Stop being a worry wort.

:roll:

Do you have a garage? Your overnight temps will not be low enough to freeze the beer.

No a paint stainer bag will not filter out the yeast. It will also not filter out the smallest of hop particles. A pantyhose placed over the siphon outlet may filter a little more than a paint bag.

Yes, drape a 5g bag over your bottling bucket. Siphon the beer into it. GENTLY pull the bag out. You need to be careful not to aerate the beer.

A pantyhose placed over the siphon outlet may filter a little more than a paint bag. But it also will not filter 100% of the particles.

Our outside temps are just below freezing at night now and the garage is usually around 5 degrees warmer so it will be close. You think this will be fine to leave out overnight to cold crash the night before bottling? will carrying the beer from the garage back to the basement cause the hops to kick back up into suspension?

I looked at the forecast for Cleveland before making my post (thanks for having your location listed). :wink:

Moving the fermenter will cause a little to get kicked up. Move it. Then work on getting things together and sanitized. By time you are ready to transfer it to the bottling bucket, things should have settled down.

Excellent thanks!

Remember alcohol has a lower freezing point than water…so the beer can get down to 25 or so before freezing…pending on alcohol content.

9% so I should be good :slight_smile:

Thanks all!