Filtering Fermcap S

I’ve heard people mention that the FDA advises Fermcap S to be filtered because it’s silicone based. That you need under 10ppm in the final product.

I haven’t been able to find anything by the FDA that mentions this. All I can find is a rival product claiming that Fermcap needs to be filtered. Does anyone have a link to an article by a more credible source? It’s hard for me to believe that under 20 milliliters in an 16-18 barrel batch would provide 10ppm silicone (thats like 20ml in 2,027,080ml)…

also does fining (rather than filtering) lower the levels of silicone?

I always understood it to drop out during fermentation

I dont think all of it (or any) does

Took a brewing class at NB and the instructor said it fell out during fermentation and that a lot of food companies use a similar product. There was no mention of filtering. I used about half of what is recommended and it worked great when I brewed my first batch this past weekend.

a lot of very credible brewers claim that the FDA say it needs filtering… It works by creating a layer on top of the wort making bubbles dissipate easier durring fermentation. im having a hard time understanding when/how ALL of it drops out durring fermentation when it’s designed to stay on the surface.

there’s a product called ‘Fermcap AT’ that’s NOT supposed to carry over to the finished beer. If what you say is true, i dont see the point of Fermcap AT over S

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/FoamControl.html
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115394

Discussion from earlier in the month.

Food companies will do disgusting things for $$ I’m not saying fermcap is bad but the fact that food companies is use a similar product isn’t proof. Do a search on what goes into your mc nuggets.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115394

Discussion from earlier in the month.[/quote]

(edited… i need to get better at the NB search)

Thanks. that’s kinda what i’m looking for. Still no info on how much ppm carries over to the final product in beer, and if fining eliminates some/all of it…

I suppose no one has done the research yet

[quote=“beerme11”]

Food companies will do disgusting things for $$ I’m not saying fermcap is bad but the fact that food companies is use a similar product isn’t proof. Do a search on what goes into your mc nuggets.[/quote]

Like pumping water into chickens so they weigh more. Yes, it may have some tenderizing properties in it. But I don’t want to pay for water.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]
Like pumping water into chickens so they weigh more. Yes, it may have some tenderizing properties in it. But I don’t want to pay for water.[/quote]

probably some chemicals in that water too :shock:

I’m very warry about the whole Fermcap S needing to be filtered out thing. I did see a paper at one point that basically said Fermcap gets completely eliminated in stool. It doesn’t get absorbed when ingested. It might cause issues if you were to inject it into your bloodstream. Dimethylpolysiloxane is the active ingredient. It is also found in medications that are used for gas control in adults and babies.

If you like using Fermcap, but are worried about it, leave both the trub and the top most layer of beer when you rack. That should leave as much of it behind as possible.

Want to have some fun take it to your favorite bar and sit by the glass wash and rinse tank add a some to the rinse water and watch when they pull a beer and get no head on the beer.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”][quote=“Nighthawk”]http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115394

Discussion from earlier in the month.[/quote]

(edited… i need to get better at the NB search)

Thanks. that’s kinda what i’m looking for. Still no info on how much ppm carries over to the final product in beer, and if fining eliminates some/all of it…

I suppose no one has done the research yet[/quote]

The search function is substandard. I remembered the topic and keep looking back until I found it.