Filter before Kegging question

I have the NB Black IPA and I dry hopped it 5 days ago with out a mesh bag. Do I need to filter it before it goes into my pin lock? if so I was thinking cheese cloth at the end of my auto siphon would do the trick, or am i over thinking this.

Thanks all!!!

yea that would probably work. i never filter a dry hopped beer into the keg and i always wind up with hops plugging up the dip tube of the keg.

I boil a fine mesh bag and a little clamp and put it at the keg end of the autosiphon tubing to catch any hop debris that makes it up through the autosiphon. I use leaf hops and very little hop debris makes it into the mesh bag, but a little bit always does so its worth the effort.

I’m going to switch soon to dryhopping right in the keg though, as that seems easier.

[quote=“JohnnyB”]I’m going to switch soon to dryhopping right in the keg though, as that seems easier.
[/quote]
That’s what I do. Go to the dollar store and get a 3 pack of natural knee high nylon stockings for a buck, cut the elastic off the top, rinse and sanitize, put the hops in them and just throw them in the keg before filling. Some people tie them off to the dip tube and pull them out later, I just leave them in until the keg’s empty and trash them.

[quote=“Glug Master”][quote=“JohnnyB”]I’m going to switch soon to dryhopping right in the keg though, as that seems easier.
[/quote]
That’s what I do. Go to the dollar store and get a 3 pack of natural knee high nylon stockings for a buck, cut the elastic off the top, rinse and sanitize, put the hops in them and just throw them in the keg before filling. Some people tie them off to the dip tube and pull them out later, I just leave them in until the keg’s empty and trash them.[/quote]

How long on average do your kegs last? Is it ok if they’re in the keg for 2 or 3 months?

[quote=“JohnnyB”]How long on average do your kegs last? Is it ok if they’re in the keg for 2 or 3 months?[/quote]I would say the longest I’ve gone from dry hopping in the keg until it’s empty is 2 months, usually less though.I haven’t noticed any funky flavor from leaving it in.

The SS spice balls, similar to a tea ball but larger, also work nicely to dry hop in the keg. I have had mesh bags get sucked up into the dip tube. The easiest way to get them out is to put a liquid QD on your CO2 and blow it back out.