Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Figuring out my water report

Looking at my water report, i’m wondering where the bicarbonate(HCO3) data is. I’m trying to imput this data into beersmith and this seems to be missing. Also, is the PH the same as Hydrogen Ion-pH? This is St paul’s monthly water report.

http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1492

The HCO3 is not listed in our St Paul report, thanks by the way I had not checked around for the January report. What you do is use the ALk # and times this by 1.22 to arrive at the HCO3
SO this month the HCO3 should be 67

Yes, Although when I have actually tested it at this end of the spectrum I usually arrive at 8.7 on average so that is the number along with ALk that I use in Bru N water to acidify my sparge H2O.

You probably have already started to treat for Chloramine, but if you have not. St Paul has high levels usually as the maximum allowed is 4 and we hover right around 4 all months of the year.
“Chlorine Residual (ppm Cl as Cl2) 3.41” Other than the chlorine we have superb water at our disposal.

Also if you have not found it yet our last reported SO-4/ Sulfate was reported at 21 on a Bi or tri-annual reporting cycle. It is not reported monthly/ annually. Although prior to spring of 2010 they were reporting 20 from the then “current/ 2008 I think?” test. So obviously it doesn’t move around too much.

You probably have already started to treat for Chloramine, but if you have not. St Paul has high levels usually as the maximum allowed is 4 and we hover right around 4 all months of the year.
“Chlorine Residual (ppm Cl as Cl2) 3.41” Other than the chlorine we have superb water at our disposal.

I have read about it but have not doneanything yet, because its been a while since i brewed. I plan on picking up some campden tablets net time i’m at Northern Brewer. thanks again for your help!

So after entering what i’ve understood of the St Paul water report into the EZ Water spreadsheet, I’m kind of at a loss on how to proceed. Lately I’ve stuck with partial mash, after a couple rather not tasty attempts at full on all grain biab. I’m very meticulous in sanitization and ferm temps, but my last couple batches have had this off…very harsh flavor. Both of which used Marris Otter and only hopped to 30-40 ibu, with basically a thin mouthfeel and no malt presence.

It’s in my mind lately that my water is partially at fault…at least I hope it is. So with what is entered below…any pointers on where to proceed?
I’m guessing water shouldn’t play such a large role in partial mash as at least half the fermentables are extract.

Using 4 lbs 2 row, .5 lbs crystal and a mash thickness of 1.5 qt/lb
Entered Profile:
CA 23
Mg 7
Na 17.96
Cl 34
So4 21
Alk 55

Ez Water predicts a room temp mash PH of 5.66. My Ca looks to be 27 points under min, Mg ~3 points under, SO4 ~ 23 under minimum.
Generally I brew pale, india, and amber ales…with maybe something as light in color as an american wheat.

Any generalized adjustments I can make to cover these brewing styles?
Palmer mentions having calcium of higher ppm inhibiting conversion activity…so why would I look to increase that?

I’ve also seen mention of acidulated malt, does that simply adjust pH?

Use enough gypsum to boost the sulfate to ~75-100ppm and your calcium will be in the ballpark. The sulfate will make the hops stand out.

Thanks, Shade. You seem to always be the first response to my questions!!
I do appreciate it!

Adding 1 gram of gypsum increases SO4 to 114ppm. This also puts my chloride/sulfate ratio to 0.30 should that be concerning?

[quote=“dsidab81”]Adding 1 gram of gypsum increases SO4 to 114ppm. This also puts my chloride/sulfate ratio to 0.30 should that be concerning?[/quote]Looks good to me. If you wanted to even it out a little, though, just sub CaCl2 for gypsum, maybe one part per two, and make it 0.50.

Here is another run at it. Just using CaCl seemed to throw everything out of whack. Below is the print from Ez water, with split additions of gypsum and cacl with an ounce of acidulated thrown in for ph???

Anyone here know if NB sells grains in less than 1 pound increments (not mail order…physically going to the store)?

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 23
Mg: 7
Na: 17.96
Cl: 34
SO4: 21
CaCO3: 55

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 1.75 / 2
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 4.5

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 0.5 / 0.571428571
CaCl2: 0.25 / 0.25
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 1

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 50 / 50
Mg: 7 / 7
Na: 18 / 18
Cl: 52 / 51
SO4: 63 / 63
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.83 / 0.81

Alkalinity (CaCO3): -64
RA: -104
Estimated pH: 5.50

[quote=“dsidab81”]Estimated ph: 5.50[/quote]Is that mash pH or room temp?

Sorry, guess I cut off that line. The estimate would be room temp. After reading a three part wiki on mash ph and chemistry last night, this estimated 5.5 of room would equate to a target 5.2 at actual mash temps, right?

No actual measurements yet, just speculation before my next brewsperiment!!

Edit I just noticed the correction field under grist mentioning Rahr 2-row at 5.56, with default 2-row ph being 5.7. After editing this it dropped the estimated room ph to 5.38, and after removing the 1 ounce acidulated malt it rose to 5.51. So this seems simpler without having to add such a small amount of acid??**

[quote=“dsidab81”] So this seems simpler without having to add such a small amount of acid?[/quote]I don’t see how one oz of acid malt would shift the mash that much, but yeah, leave it out, you don’t need it.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com