Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

FG for Black IPA extract kit?

Hi everyone,

I just finally bottled my Black IPA today (about a month later than planned, ugh!). My FG was 1.024. The OG was 1.076. I’ve never made such a heavy beer before, so is this normal? I’m 99.999% sure that it was done fermenting as there were no issues with that, and it has been sitting at about 60-62* for the past month.

Anyway, just wondering what others have witnessed with this particular kit. My poor DH is a bit bummed that this will only be a 6.83% ABV. :roll:

Thanks and Happy New Year! :cheers:

Mine was at 1.024 as well. I just kegged it a week ago and now drinking it… wow is this a good beer.

The second beer I ever made was that kit. OG 1.078 - FG 1.020. But at the time I didn’t have good temp control and it did ferment a little warm. But yes, around 1.024 is about what I would from that kit. Extract beers usually finish with a higher gravity and higher SRM then all grain. That Black IPA will be a little on the sweet side, but should still taste good. Lots of hoppy goodness to counteract the sweetness.

The second time I brewed this beer I converted it to partial mash. OG 1.084 - FG 1.024. Still too sweet for my liking. I plan on brewing it again as all grain, but will definitely mash at a lower temp to get a more fermentable wort and may switch up the yeast to something with a higher attenuation.

I just bottled mine 2 weeks ago sliding in at 1.012, calculating 8.3%abv. I don’t think it had anything to do with the cup of cacao nibs added. However after adding those and rousing the fermenter I was forced to sit on the batch an additional 2 weeks to calm it down.

Did this one back in Sept / Oct and checking my notes it finished at 1.023 and has definitely been my favorite batch of the 4 we’ve done so far.

Great, thanks guys!

Personally I do not think I will care for this beer, but that doesn’t matter b/c my husband wanted it. He tasted it yesterday and decided that he wishes it were a tad sweeter, but he still really likes it even in this raw state (so I have hopes that after some conditioning the sweetness will come through better). His hope is that this will be a replacement for Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout that he likes to drink alongside of a scotch. I’m very, very happy to hear that all of you were happy with this kit, and perhaps I’ll come around to the dark side (ha! couldn’t resist that one!).

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com