Few Questions About The Plinian Legacy Double IPA Kit

Hey guys, new here. Just bought and started this Plinian Kit.

I’m just worried my 6gal carboy is not big enough. Here is a picture after brewing, airlock on and everything.

What do you guys think will I be ok hopefully even though I dont have any room if it starts bubbling up.

Oh also do you guys do the 2nd fermentation or just stick to the 1?

thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

Travis B Klein

Travis, I’d highly recommend a blowoff tube if you only have a 6 gallon carboy. I have actually done this kit twice and both times have pushed foam through the tube into my bucket. You want something like this. Also, with this kit I did a secondary because of the dry hopping and with the amount to add, I would definitely recommend it. The first time I dry hopped in a carboy, the second time I dry hopped in a keg. Good luck!

:cheers:
Rad

Good God you were right! I didn’t even know how to do that.

My bung and airlock blew strait off! I sanitized the whole top with a spray bottle, cleaned and sanitized the airlock and bung. Hooked up the blow off to a bucket with sanitizer in it.

Thank you alot for the help! really!

Travis

[quote=“Radagast”]Travis, I’d highly recommend a blowoff tube if you only have a 6 gallon carboy. I have actually done this kit twice and both times have pushed foam through the tube into my bucket. You want something like this. Also, with this kit I did a secondary because of the dry hopping and with the amount to add, I would definitely recommend it. The first time I dry hopped in a carboy, the second time I dry hopped in a keg. Good luck!

Rad[/quote]

When you dry hop in a keg, do the hops come out the tap? I have thought about trying this to get rid on a transfer. Also do you leave the keg at room temperature like with a carboy or does it go in the fridge right when you transfer it?

What I did the second time around was transferred it to a secondary carboy to let it clear a bit and because I needed my primary for another brew at the time. This was technically an unnecessary step that ran a bit of extra risk of oxidation but it worked out pretty well for me. Then I transferred to a purged keg for the dry hop.

I put each batch of dry hops in a muslin bag very loosely tied because I’ve learned that pellets swell in bags quite a bit during dry hopping so you want them to be loose and not cramped in the bag. I then sealed up the keg. I opened the keg one more time to add the second dry hop. I keep my carboys and kegs in my basement which is between 65-70 year round so I dry hopped at room temp.

When it had sat for the recommended 5 days after the second dry hop addition, I transferred to an empty purged keg using beer line pushed with CO2 to prevent any oxygen exposure. I wanted to see if it made a difference to keep the container sealed after dry hopping to help preserve more aroma. I was very pleased with the results and would do it this way again for a heavily dry hopped beer.

Rad

[quote=“Radagast”]What I did the second time around was transferred it to a secondary carboy to let it clear a bit and because I needed my primary for another brew at the time. This was technically an unnecessary step that ran a bit of extra risk of oxidation but it worked out pretty well for me. Then I transferred to a purged keg for the dry hop.

I put each batch of dry hops in a muslin bag very loosely tied because I’ve learned that pellets swell in bags quite a bit during dry hopping so you want them to be loose and not cramped in the bag. I then sealed up the keg. I opened the keg one more time to add the second dry hop. I keep my carboys and kegs in my basement which is between 65-70 year round so I dry hopped at room temp.

When it had sat for the recommended 5 days after the second dry hop addition, I transferred to an empty purged keg using beer line pushed with CO2 to prevent any oxygen exposure. I wanted to see if it made a difference to keep the container sealed after dry hopping to help preserve more aroma. I was very pleased with the results and would do it this way again for a heavily dry hopped beer.

Rad[/quote]

Wonderful, thanks.

So worried about whats going on with the look and also the smell coming from the air lock.

I am going to assume this black stuff at the top is not normal, and also the rancid smell is not normal either.

Thanks for any help :frowning:

Travis

something happened to the image upload.

Here it is, I’m hoping someone from northern brew can reply :slight_smile: It’s been 2 weeks in primary now.

thanks for the help!

Travis B Klein

I don’t see anything there that would cause me concern. You had a very vigorous fermentation that left residue on the surface of the carboy. No worries.

thank you so much for the reply :slight_smile: on to secondary!