Festivus Ale Question

Hello everyone,

Just brewed the Festivus Ale last night, minus one small over boil, the dropping of some sanitized water into the batch transfer into the fermenter I think all went well. Currently waiting for the liquid yeast Wittbread Ale to get going…fermenter sitting in the basement at about 70 and the yeast was started late friday night.

What I forgot to do was get the starting gravity…so I thought I would ask if anyone on here has brewed this before and what I should be looking at for an FG? Starting gravity is supposed to be around 1.070.

Also, anyone brewed this? I like my spice flavors and all and even the package says to use half the amount recommended, I actually used just a little less than half of that. Just wondering what I can expect flavor wise.

Thanks! And may the airing of grievances begin!! :cheers:

Assuming this was a extract kit you should be pretty close to the expected OG of the kit. Of course with the boil-over you may have lost some sugars. How bad was the boil over? What percentage of the wort would you say you lost?

Next to nothing really…I just couldn’t get the water into the post fast enough to tame it…I would put it at a pint at most…I think I had more water used cleaning it up than I lost.

from Wyeast site:
“A mildly malty and slightly fruity fermentation profile. It is less tart and dry than Wyeast 1098 British Ale. With good flocculation characteristics, this yeast clears well without filtration. Low fermentation temperatures will produce a clean finish with a very low ester profile.
Temperature Range: 64-75F”

At 70°F ambient, and a temperature increase of 3° to 7° by the heat produced during active fermentation, you will will probably get more of the fruity esters. Might be what you are going for. Using a swamp cooler will lower the fermentation temperature for less ester production.

Well Houston we have fermentation and it is an active one that. The use of a blow of tube with this recipe is a must. It is a constant 70-72 in the store room right now and I have used some soaked towels around the carboy to help keep it cool so maybe I won’t get too heavy on the fruity side.

From what I have been able to find and assuming an attentuation rate of 70% (Wyeast says between 68-72) I should be looking for a FG between 1.020 - 1.022.

That sound about right?

Thanks!