Fermometer reading multiple temperatures?

Hey guys (and girls),

After transferring my Cream Ale into my secondary fermentor (carboy), I noticed that the fermometer attached to the carboy has been acting strange. On the right side of the fermometer, I see 70, 72, 74, 76, and 78 degrees all colored in.

Is there any chance that it could have been damaged during application or re-application processes?

If the carboy or fermometer is wet, it will read funny. If it’s under water you will not get a good reading and that can ruin fermometers. Removing it from a carboy can damage them, too.

Well…wtf. I suppose it’s time to invest in a new fermometer, then. You would think that the people who make the fermometer would deduce that people can make mistakes when they apply the fermometer to their fermentation container, and that they would come up with a more resilient and durable version so that re-application doesnt damage them.

But it’s whatever. Thanks for the input!

In case you have never used a Fermometer before, it is to be expected that multiple temps will be indicated with different colors–although I’m not sure I’ve seen an 8 degree span before. Have a look at the “Instructions for use” section on the manufacturer’s website: http://tkachenterprises.com/Products.html

[quote=“JonBoynton3316”]Well…wtf. I suppose it’s time to invest in a new fermometer, then. You would think that the people who make the fermometer would deduce that people can make mistakes when they apply the fermometer to their fermentation container, and that they would come up with a more resilient and durable version so that re-application doesnt damage them.

But it’s whatever. Thanks for the input![/quote]
Yea I also learned the hard way that you can’t remove and reapply a fermometer. Luckily they’re cheap but that doesn’t help when you don’t have another on hand.

I love NB, and it is only $2.99, but I just looked at their product page and the very last line cracked me up

Liquid crystal thermometer with a peel-off adhesive back, 36°-78° F range, 2° increments. Stick it on the side of a carboy or bucket to monitor fermentation temperature; lasts forever

I gave up on them - they always blistered up and delaminated after a while. I guess I am not careful enough to use them.