Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Fermenting Temperature (among with other issues)

Hi

I’m on my 3rd batch - California Common - and have decided to let it ferment in my basement instead of sitting in the middle of my kitchen.

After 1 day it did indeed start to ferment, and I put the blow off tube on there since being out of sight, I wouldn’t be checking it as much.

But I’m worried about the temperature - it seems to be sitting at about 60F - 62F. The recommended temp is 58-68, but since I’m close to the lower end, what would happen if all of a sudden it fell out of the range? Would the yeast just stop and would it ever kick in again if the temp increased? These things keep me awake at night :expressionless:

Also - since I’m already here, I got another question - there is an absolute ton of crap floating around and in the bottom in my carboy - much much more than I’ve had with the other 2 batches. It almost looks like an oil & water thing. Is this because it is on the colder side - or maybe because I had to add hops at the end of the boil so it didn’t really dissolve it enough? Hoping I don’t have some strange infection in there.

Wondering also - that sice it recommends a month in secondary, and I’ll want to do that to free up my primary, do I want any of that crap in there or do I want to take the 3 gallons of beer and leave the 2 gallons of sludge?

Thanks for any help - I really hope these were stupid questions and not something unheard of :?

[quote=“Flibster”]Hi

I’m on my 3rd batch - California Common - and have decided to let it ferment in my basement instead of sitting in the middle of my kitchen.

After 1 day it did indeed start to ferment, and I put the blow off tube on there since being out of sight, I wouldn’t be checking it as much.

But I’m worried about the temperature - it seems to be sitting at about 60F - 62F. The recommended temp is 58-68, but since I’m close to the lower end, what would happen if all of a sudden it fell out of the range? Would the yeast just stop and would it ever kick in again if the temp increased? These things keep me awake at night :expressionless:

Also - since I’m already here, I got another question - there is an absolute ton of crap floating around and in the bottom in my carboy - much much more than I’ve had with the other 2 batches. It almost looks like an oil & water thing. Is this because it is on the colder side - or maybe because I had to add hops at the end of the boil so it didn’t really dissolve it enough? Hoping I don’t have some strange infection in there.

Wondering also - that sice it recommends a month in secondary, and I’ll want to do that to free up my primary, do I want any of that crap in there or do I want to take the 3 gallons of beer and leave the 2 gallons of sludge?

Thanks for any help - I really hope these were stupid questions and not something unheard of :? [/quote]
Your temperature is perfect. Lower end of the range is where you want to be for the first few days. After 3-4 days you can raise it to 68 or so to let the yeast clean up a bit. Most of the floating trub will probably settle out after active fermentation or you could cold crash it for a day or two before racking to the secondary. You shouldn’t lose more than 1/4-1/2 gallon to trub at the worst.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com