Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Fermenting my 1 gallon batch and have some questions

A bit of history.

I bought the 1 gallon kit from NB and followed the instructions to a T. The issue I had was the cooling as I did not have a thermometer. (Wasn’t sure I needed one.)

Soaked the kettle in an ice bath for approx 25 minutes. I swirled the kettle some to spread the cooling and made sure I had constant water in my sink.

I just pitched the dry yeast (had no idea about rehydrating but the instructions didn’t say to so I didn’t bother.)

This is what my carboy looks like after roughly three days.

I know there is no airlock but the instructions said do either method and I read quite a few horror stories about the airlock blowing off so I went with this method instead. The tube is in the cup of water which is now brown and has a chunk of something in the bottom.

I searched everywhere about the level of liquid but i found nothing about 1 gallons. The instructions did not say to add water to bring it to a gallon so…

Now I am a bit worried that I failed on this batch.

Thanks! and :cheers:

What exactly are your questions?

It looks normal, sounds like you did a good job.

Best to get a thermometer for your next batch.

Keep following the directions on the instruction sheet.

I guess basically the whole thing was a question. Hoping It looked normal is all.

This looks prefectly normal to me… keep it in dark place (or cover with a black trash bag) and give a few weeks to finish up and keep following the directions.

-Tony

You may have pushed your blow off tube down a little farther than you need to which caused some crap to blow through. Shouldn’t be a problem though. I usually use star San instead I plain water. No worries it will be good.

You made beer!

The information given here is really useful.and thanks alot for sharing the wonderful experiments here,so try to do more.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com