Fermenting bucket problems?

So I’ve heard that you should only re-use a bucket a few times, which hasn’t been a problem since I use to use a 7 gallon carboy for my primary, but I kinda like being able to have more than one batch cooking.

Is it true that it can produce off flavors if you re-use the buckets more than a couple times?

Nope, not true at all. Do an occasional OxiClean or PBW soak and use only mild soap and a cloth to wash them out (so no scratches) and they’ll last for years.

Thanks, I’ve kinda noticed that it has a smell to it even after an extensive PBW scrub. Is that normal?

[quote=“HellBound”]Thanks, I’ve kinda noticed that it has a smell to it even after an extensive PBW scrub. Is that normal?[/quote]Yep, perfectly normal. Mine are stained and smell but it doesn’t carry over to the next batch.

Also, sanitize with starsan if you don’t already. Its foaming action will help sanitize any little scrathes that might occur.

I do. I let it soak for a couple hours at least.

That won’t do any harm, but a couple minutes is all you need.

Buckets will last for many years, stains and all. Handle will break before the bucket cracks.

Yeah you can reuse them for years no problem. Take care of them and they’ll take care of you.