Fermenting 10 gallon batches

How do you guys do it? Split it into two 6 gallon carboys? In looking at buckets, I am finding 10 gallon (to small) and 20 gallon (overkill? and $56). Does anyone know id 15 gallon buckets can be found?

I use 2 six and a half gallon buckets set in swamp coolers. it seems like it’s easier to brew/transfer and ferment 10 gallons then it is 5

+1 There are plenty of plastic containers that will hold a 10-12 gallon batch, but splitting between two buckets or carboys is an easy way to go and keeps the weight manageable.

Exactly what has been said. I use 2 6.5g carboys which I’ve marked with volume measurements which makes it easy to split the batch evenly.

Yep, they are called sankey kegs.

This is what many of us use. I have four of them and here is where to find them (note from my website).

1/30/2011 Note About the Big Red and White Fermenters

The fermenters are made in Holland by a company called Curtec http://www.curtec.com . They are called 7055 wide mouth kegs and have a capacity of 55 liters or about 14.5 gallons. They have an o-ring seal in the screw on lid and function very well for 10-12 gallon fermentations. I drilled through the lid a ½” hole and installed a rubber grommet so it will accept a 3-piece airlock. I got my containers from a guy in Ohio who uses them (or the product inside of them) in his business. He uses the baking soda product and then sells the containers for about $40 each (shipping included). His name is Doug and his email is dbgrammllc@aol.com if you want to see if he has any available.

In case he does not have any more, you can also get them from the following website for around $40 plus shipping http://www.generalcontainer.com/product.aspx?pid=20

It is the N37055 (5th item). These are very sturdy, easy to clean and pretty easy to transport, even when full. I have had mine for 3-4 years now and they work great for my 20 gallon batch sizes using 2 per batch.

The advantages of them vs plstic buckets of carboys is that I only need two per batch instead of 4 buckets. Other than that, they are comparable. Very easy to clean out and inspect for cleanliness. They are a bit heavy when filled but at 6’5" and 300+ lbs, I have no problem carrying them around.

So, at 5’9"and 150, I should get a friend to help. :wink: What’s the diameter? Right now I’m using swamp coolers and 6 gal. carboys.

[quote=“mrv”]So, at 5’9"and 150, I should get a friend to help. :shock:

Greg, are you sure these are only 16.4" tall? Photo sure makes them look taller than they are wide.

Plus you can play with two different yeast. This would be what I would do, if/when I jump up to 10 gal batches.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]…In case he does not have any more, you can also get them from the following website for around $40 plus shipping http://www.generalcontainer.com/product.aspx?pid=20
…[/quote]

Thanks for that info, Greg! I may just get me one of these.
I had a look at the General Container link you posted, and it turns out that their office is less than a mile from where I live!

Previously when brewing 10 gallons I would split it between two fermenters and use different yeast.
However I recently got one of these Curtec containers from this guy. He mentioned that he has a few more on hand and he is now charging $45 per a container. Still an awesome deal though.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I got my containers from a guy in Ohio who uses them (or the product inside of them) in his business. He uses the baking soda product and then sells the containers for about $40 each (shipping included). His name is Doug and his email is dbgrammllc@aol.com if you want to see if he has any available.

[/quote]

I made one of these. When it’s in use I use two 6.5 gallon buckets, and then they are all full I use two 6.5 gallon bottling buckets. Cheers!!!

[quote=“560sdl”]Greg, are you sure these are only 16.4" tall? Photo sure makes them look taller than they are wide.[/quote]WOW, I double checked the general container website and that is what it says so now I measured mine and they are 21" tall. Good catch.

I am an architect, so I have a pretty good eye for dimensions :wink:

Greg,
Thanks for the link. I ordered one yesterday. I will now be able to use my 16 gallon converted keg to it’s full potential during my next boil.

I use the same Curtec drums as Greg. They are a great item to have.

When you guys drill a half inch hole what size stoppers are you using, or is my best bet to bring the cover to NB to make sure I get on that fits?

[quote=“Roddy”]When you guys drill a half inch hole what size stoppers are you using, or is my best bet to bring the cover to NB to make sure I get on that fits?[/quote]A black rubber grommet like the ones you see in the fermenting bucket lids i what I use. Then the airlock fits right into it. If you need a blowoff, you can just put 1/2" hose over the center part of the 3 piece airlock.

I drilled my Curtec Drum lids at 5/8" and pretty sure that the stoppers I use are #2’s.