Fermenter's Favorities Caps

I am not sure if it is the first time I have used these but the batch I have (120ct) are heavier (124 gms for 54caps versus 104 gms previously) and much harder to seal down with the capper and they do not work well with the red vertical capper either. Anyone know what’s going on - I prefer what I have been using for about 10 years. Thanks.

I can’t explain what is going on, but I can say I also have the same problem with the Fermenter’s Favorite red caps. I use a black butterfly capper and had to put so much pressure on the handles that I was convinced I would shatter half the bottles. Fortunately none shattered; only one cracked. I also picked up a bag of the blue caps and haven’t had any problem with those. While 2 bags is not a large sample size, I doubt I’ll buy them again.

I have capped literally thousands of bottles and never had I broken a single one until I got a bag of “Fermenter’s Favorite” caps. 4 broken bottles later, I threw them away and will never buy them again.

I have to wonder if there are really NO reviews of them or if the reviews have simply been supressed?

Come on, NB, throw those pieces of trash where they belong. You made a mistake. You are a premium homebrew supplier. Step up.

I had a similar issue with the same caps. Although I never broke any bottles. I don’t know if it was my red capper or the caps. After crimping them the capper wanted to stick on the cap. Every few bottles the cap wanted to crimp on crooked and almost knock over the bottle. I bought a new capper and the crimp seemed a little easier. Although the kit I brewed after that batch came with Brewers Best “B” logo caps. They crimped so smooth. I picked up some more of them from my LHBS. Also I had an issue with the gold crown caps rusting. I was a little embarrassed to give them out for people to try. I know the rust never touched the beer but it just looked bad when you opened them and find a rust ring.

I too am having issues with Fermenter’s Favorites gold and white caps. Way too much force is required to secure these to my bottles, even with the brand new Royal (Blue) Crown Bottle Capper from NB.

In addition to difficulty capping with Fermenter’s Favorite bottle caps, I also had problems with opening a bottle (after 3-5 weeks conditioning) and discovering it had little to no carbonation! I have used FF caps for 3 (5 gal) batches and have had about 10-15% of bottles have very low carbonation or even no carbonation at all! Before that, using Brewer’s Best caps, I never had that problem. I’m currently googling other LHBSs in my area as I will never use FF caps again and FF caps are all NB sells.

Two days after I read this post, I received my NB order, included FF bottle caps. I was bottling some beer that day, so tried one of the caps. Pushed down on the bench capper handle, nothing. Pushed harder, nothing. Gave it some more heavy steady pressure, while watching the capper for excess strain, the bell finally moved. Not a give and let off that normally indicates a crimp, just movement.
I used a few more caps. Not sure what the numbers inside the caps are for. but numbers 02, 03 , and 27 took extreme pressure to seat.
I’ll stick with L.D.Carlson gold crown caps for quality.

I bottled a batch a couple of weeks ago and found that the gold FF caps I got at NB were extremely difficult to work with. I broke a bottle, which has never happened for me before (probably 50+ batches), couldn’t get the caps to seat on at least six bottles, and most of the rest had caps that seated off center. I used the same capper I’ve had for eons, but bought a new one from NB and am hoping that the new capper will work better, but after reading the previous posts, I’m not so confident.

My review of FF caps has been submitted.

[quote=“Endoftheworldbrewing”]I have capped literally thousands of bottles and never had I broken a single one until I got a bag of “Fermenter’s Favorite” caps. 4 broken bottles later, I threw them away and will never buy them again.

I have to wonder if there are really NO reviews of them or if the reviews have simply been supressed?

Come on, NB, throw those pieces of trash where they belong. You made a mistake. You are a premium homebrew supplier. Step up.[/quote]

Done!

did they hide the reviews of the fermenters favorite caps??

They are pending moderation. Once they discover that they don’t contain swear words or solicitations to buy circular metal medallions associated with a particular sport I will not mention in order to avoid triggering another avalanche of spam posts to this forum they should post for all to see…