Fermented at 100 F

Brewed my first 5 gal. batch (NB american wheat ale). Being new to this hobbie, I made the mistake of starting fermentation at too high of a temperature (100 degree F). Before pitching, I rehydrated my dry yeast in 100 F pre boiled water and let sit for 10 to 15 min. After 10 min the rehydrated yeast was at 92 F. My brew has been fermenting for 5 days and is having normal airlock activity (bubble every 3 - 5 sec.). Also, my fermentation temp. is 60 F.

What can expect from this beer seeing as how I did not bring the wort temp down to 70 F before sealing fermenter?

Quite possibly, a prominent band-aid aroma and flavor and a burning solventy alcohol character.

Is there a way to offset this mistake (i.e. condition in primary or bottles for an extended period of time)?

[quote=“Hallynally31”]Is there a way to offset this mistake (i.e. condition in primary or bottles for an extended period of time)?[/quote]First, it’s possible that the beer is fine, so don’t rush into damage-control mode yet. Let the beer sit in the primary for three weeks to give the yeast plenty of time to clean up as much as possible. Then pull a small sample and chill to serving temp and see what you think.

Did you do a full boil or partial boil? If you did the partial boil per instruction sheet, you only boil 2.5 gal. then chill to less than 100 deg. When you topoff to 5 gal. with cold water, the wort temp will be much less than 100 & you would be fine to pitch. Did you check temp. just before pitching? Just curious. :cheers:

You rehydrated the yeast at 100* but the fermenter was in the 60’s. You are fine. Though rehydrating that warm you risk killing off some of the yeast. Rehydrate in the 80’s is what you will find on the instructions.

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/upl ... A_US05.pdf

Reply to Thirstyone.

I did a partial boil (2.5 gal). Unfortunately, I topped-off with pre-boiled water that I did not cool long enough. As a result, the “top-off” water did not cool the overall temp. substantially. This is why my 5 gallons of wort was around 100 F when pitching yeast and sealing fermenter.

UPDATE…Fermented the am. wheat for 23 days at 59 - 61 degrees F. The long fermentation period seems to offset the mistake of the beginning fermentation at 100 F. Obviously, bottling will effect the overall outcome of this beer, but, so far, I am happy with the results of my first 5-gallon brew. I will make a final post once I have tried a few bottles. Thanks for the help!

Using boiled top-up water seems like a good idea, but in practice, I have never heard nor seen the alternative be an issue: You can use cold, unboiled tap water without concern.