Fermentation

Sorry for another Newb question but Ive been reading online and in books and Im getting different answers so I always want to double check with you guys haha

So my brew is currently in the fermenter. Started on Saturday night and I checked it this morning and its starting to bubble. I am not going to be putting it into a secondary so I am wondering do I leave it in there for 2-3 weeks no matter what or if I see the bubbles stop does that mean I should transfer it early? Is there a way to leave it in the fermenter too long?

Also while Im writing this post Ill also ask if you have a cleaner that your prefer. I have the Starsan sanitize but was going to order some more cleaner

Thanks again everyone!

2 weeks minimum. Even if bubbles stop. Active fermentation could have ended, but the yeast aren’t done in there. After at least 2 weeks, check your gravity to see if gravity is where it needs to be per kit specifications.

And Star San for Sanitizing, general cleaning Oxyclean works well. I use it for clean up after fermentation in carboy/bucket and any other tubing for equipment used.

Thanks Jabonneau86!

A question on checking the gravity… When I do that, how exactly do I go about it? I dont want to infect it so what is the best way of taking a sample?

Thanks

you can leave your beer in the fermenter until it finishes with no problems. for normal beers this will be about 3 weeks, even if the bubbles stop after a few days. I have bottled at 2 week a lot but have left some go for 30 days with no problems.
star san is a sterilizers and you use that on clean items ( no visible gunk or grime) it kills bugs, (bacteria) and other things not visible to the eye. as for cleaners, oxy clean, bleach, pbw, are all good for cleaning gunk and grime. most need to be rinsed off after cleaning and before the use of star san.
checking the gravity at 2 weeks is about average. use a turkey baster that has been soaking in star san the get your sample. use star san in a spray bottle to spray your fermenter down before taking the air lock off.
just a note about star san, you must use distilled or RO water to mix it with for it to be 100% effective.

Thanks Grainy

I keep hearing about PBW, I think I’ll buy a batch and see how it works!

[quote=“KevinTroj”]Thanks Jabonneau86!

A question on checking the gravity… When I do that, how exactly do I go about it? I dont want to infect it so what is the best way of taking a sample?

Thanks[/quote]
checking the gravity at 2 weeks is about average. use a turkey baster that has been soaking in star san the get your sample. use star san in a spray bottle to spray your fermenter down before taking the air lock off.
just a note about star san, you must use distilled or RO water to mix it with for it to be 100% effective.

[quote=“grainy”]
just a note about star san, you must use distilled or RO water to mix it with for it to be 100% effective.[/quote]
As long as the pH of the solution is under 3.5, it it effective–whether the solution was made with tap or DI water. Using DI water may allow you to store a mixed solution longer compared to a solution that has been made with hard water.

As far as cleaning chemicals, PBW is good stuff. Oxiclean is much cheaper and in my experience it works nearly identically to PBW.

Is this the same Oxiclean you can get at grocery stores? If so then im sure I can get that cheaper and if it works just as well then I should give it a try

Thanks

[quote=“KevinTroj”]Is this the same Oxiclean you can get at grocery stores? If so then im sure I can get that cheaper and if it works just as well then I should give it a try
[/quote]
Yes, I’m referring to the brand that is widely available in retail stores. I buy the big boxes from Costco.

I been using perfume free Oxiclean. I do have the marks carboy washer and it works great!!

No need to get the fragrance free stuff unless it helps you sleep better at night. I use the Oxiclean Versatile product and have never had any issues with carryover fragrance even in plastic. Just rinse well–which you should do for any cleaning chemicals.