Fermentation with Brett Lambicus and WLP 565/Dupont

I made a simple wort of 95% MO and 5% caramunich III (60 (may have been too much cara 60), mashed at 154, hopped with .8 oz of Tett at 50 minutes (don’t ask).

I had a vial of Brett L and about 250ml of 565 slurry, which I pitched into the wort. I have it set to ferment at 68* and will leave it there for 3-4 days, then let it ramp up to ambient 70-72. My thought was, the 565 will stall out in the mid 1.030’s and the brett will finish, but I am not particularly versed in mixed fermentations.

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had any experience with Brett L (White Labs) or mixed ferments in general. Sounds like Brett L is a pretty hefty lactic acid producer.

That sounds like an absolutely delicious idea! I haven’t gotten much lactic acid from it or any brett, although with enough oxygen you’ll certainly get some acetic acid. Using TYB’s Lochristi blend I got a nice tartness which is likely some lactic, but nothing like using lacto.

I think it’s a solid plan, that should leave plenty of food for the brett. Whatever you can do to get the sacch to produce as many esters or phenols as possible will bump up your brett character. It could potentially take a long time to finish fermenting with that many residual sugars.

For a brett saison, I really like to use a highly attenuating, estery strain. Not such a big fan of the barnyard/horse blanket brett character, so I try to not use phenolic strains. Fermenting down to below 1.010 really speeds up the turn-around time as you’re not relying on the brett to attenuate, but giving it plenty of intermediate products to metabolize and add character.

Looking forward to hearing about your results!

pellicle forming, no airlock activity. May bring it out of the temp controlled chamber to free up the chamber for lagering my German pils. Will post a pic tonight.

I was kind of thinking this would be a quickish turnaround beer, Chop, do you think that is the case? My understanding was that with 100% brett beers (though I guess this is NOT that!), they would ferment a little quicker.

Just when homebrewers thought they were patient on waiting for beers to be ready, they started brewing sours. ← may be my new autosignature