Fermentation Temps

I just read a post stating that fermentation temps should be 5 degrees lower than your target temps. Now that I think about it, this makes sense, as the yeast does its thing they will generate heat. I have a controlled temperature fermenter, should I be setting it 5 degrees lower than my target temp to compensate for this? I haven’t noticed any off flavors in my beers, but I’m curious if this is the right way to do it. Thanks.

That depends on how you measure your temperature. If you have a thermowell, or even are just taping your probe to the side of your fermenter, than you’re pretty close to actual beer temp. If you’re measuring the air temp, than yeah you should plan on the beer being a few degrees warmer than the air.

Keep in mind that 5 degree number people throw around is an approximation,and only applies only to the most active part of fermentation. Toward the end as fermentation slows down the differential drops to almost nothing. Your mileage will vary, and it will depend on the specific yeast and how much you pitch. If you have a process that is producing good results, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yes, I think this is a good idea, but only for about the first 3 or 4 days until the krausen begins to fall, then you can safely increase the temperature without ill effects and it may in fact be beneficial to do so.