Fermentation Temps

Hello Brewers … Just pitched 6 gals of pale ale with White Labs 001 … label says that it should ferment at 70-75 degrees … seems hot, but this is a california ale yeast. Anyways, my fermentation room is ambient at about 62 (although outside temps are dropping in CO). I’ve got big blanket around the conical and think I should be OK, however, am not seeing much airlock activity after 24-hours.

My question - how much should I expect brew temp to rise due to yeast activity? A lot of things I read suggest about a 5-7 degree temperature variation from room temp to brew temp during primary. Again, not seeing much activity yet and wondering if I should hustle to Home Depot and pick up space heater to bring room temp up to 66-68. I worry that if I do this, I might overheat when considering differential. Otherwise, if I’m too cold, I guess the downside is that I won’t be tasting this batch for Christmas and will have to let it work a couple more weeks.

I would say your ambient temp is perfect. Ferm temps will on average raise 5-7*, and that would be a happy medium for that yeast. I often ferment at the bottom temp range for yeast.

Thanks for the feedback - I’m a well read, but inexperienced brewer.

I’ll second Loopie’s comment.

1 pack of yeast for 6 gallon of beer, unless it’s a very low gravity beer, can be considered under pitching.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Don’t be to concerned if it takes 72hr (or so) to show fermentation.

Oh how I wish I had a room which had an ambient 62F. Perfect for 001 or 56 or US05.

I’ve got NB’s MaiBock fermenting with US-05 (hope I don’t regret making a starter rather than double-pitching) in my 62 degree basement, with an OG of 1.070. The next time I brew this, I’d like to try it with a big starter of Wyeast 2124 and taste them side by side.

For a batch that size and gravity, one pack of US-05 should be fine without a starter.

For a batch that size and gravity, one pack of US-05 should be fine without a starter.[/quote]

And a starter should not be used with a dry yeast.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

How cold do folks go with 001 / 1056 / 05?

I’ve got an IPA at 54-58 degrees going now pitched on an 001 yeast cake, brewed 3 days ago. Cranking away, intend to leave it in the garage until it slows down, then finish it in the basement (mid 60s).

[quote=“Brewbeer22”]How cold do folks go with 001 / 1056 / 05?

I’ve got an IPA at 54-58 degrees going now pitched on an 001 yeast cake, brewed 3 days ago. Cranking away, intend to leave it in the garage until it slows down, then finish it in the basement (mid 60s).[/quote]That’s close to the way I roll but closer to 58-60 and warm up to 70 to finish it out nice and low.

Yep, my 62 ambient turned out pretty sweet - at about 72 hrs I was blowing the airlock and had to switch to blow off. It’s chugging away and ill probably drain trub this weekend, and go secondary.

Sound like you’re moving the secondary much to quickly. first comment 11/26 and the last comment 11/29. you should let it go a minimum of 2 weeks in the primary. my preference is 3-4.

Word.

I just used some washed 001 yeast in a 30 hour starter in my 64 degree wort…took off in 6 1/2 hours! I’ve used 001 down to 60 degrees with no problems. That an 05 are my go too yeasts.

I’ve been fermenting with US-05 in my basement for the past 2 months at 57ºF and had fantastic results! I was worried it was too cool for the buggers, but the yeast have been literally going nuts with my private well water. I never had this kind of activity with municipal tap water. I’m wondering how low I can go before the yeast go to sleep. 59º F used to be my lower limit before it would stall.

I’m pretty sure that S-34/70 is a dry version of 2124, you may want to compare two dry yeasts instead.
I have a blonde lager in the lagering chest right now that I used 34/70 in and it’s very good so far.