fermentation temp

I have a American Wheat ale that has been fermenting for less then 24 hrs and right now it is at 62 degrees.We are expecting very cold temps for the next few days and I’m expecting my fermentation temp to drop below 60. Will this be okay for a few days or should I move it a warmer part of the house?

What kind of yeast? Most ale yeast do best at 60°. You could possibly keep temps above 60° by simply wrapping it in towels. Or you could even use a heating pad or electric blanket to help keep those temps up.

I’ve always heard it’s best to ramp the temp up, rather than down. I think dropping too cold could cause the yeast to throw some off-flavors.

That said, I’ve successfully fermented a pale ale with US-05 around 57 degrees. I pitched a bit warmer and then as the fermentation got rocking, we had a huge cold air mass move in. I was fermenting in an unheated room and it fermented really clean.

The pale ale was fantastic - it won first place at a local beer comp.

I used US-05 yeast. Just to be cautious I moved to a warmer room were it should take the temp to 70-72 hopefully a little cooler. I will just need to keep an eye on it.

Put the fermentor against the wall under a window, unless you have a heat vent under the window. Usually one of the coolest spots in a house. Put a quilt around the room side of the fermentor to trap the cool air from the window and wall. The corner of an outside wall will also be cooler than the rest of the room.

He is concerned that the temps will drop too low so I would avoid doing this.

That yeast will ferm rather low for an ale yeast. But I would keep it at least 60°.

He is concerned that the temps will drop too low so I would avoid doing this.

That yeast will ferm rather low for an ale yeast. But I would keep it at least 60°.[/quote]

What I meant was; A cool spot of a warmer room.

I would not worry about the fermentation temp.

Even with ale yeast cooler is always better.

A warmer fermentation temp will always a) go faster but the price you pay is the production of fusel alcohols and crappy tasting beer.

I never ferment an ale above 65 degree F.

I have ales fermenting now at 60 degrees F. No hurry here.