fermentation temp

I’ve figured out that my early beers a few years ago fermented too warm. Correcting that has produced beer Im really happy with. I’ve read that towards the end of fermentation, some guys raise the temp a bit. Does this work? What is the reason for this? I’ve been fermenting in the low 60sF, cold crashing for a couple of days and then raking off to my corny.

Thanks,
DF

the raising of temp is to clean up diacetyl, and yes it does work. This procedure is usually used in lagers.

edit: diacetyl rest is usually performed when fermentation is about 75% complete. Raise the temp 2 degrees per day until the temp is raised 10f then let fermentation completely finish.

Some claim that off flavors occur in the 1st 3 days or so. Raising the temp after this time can help the yeast consume more sugars. I wouldn’t go overboard with it, low 70’s.

The reason I do it? Active fermentation is over and temps were nicely controlled. Pulling it out of the fermentation fridge and putting it on the floor for the last week or two makes way for another fresh primary in the temp controlled fridge.

I have to run a window AC unit to keep fermentation cool so I only do it for the very active part of fermetation. Then I let it go back to room temp which is 68-70 and it tends to help it finish a tad lower.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I have to run a window AC unit to keep fermentation cool so I only do it for the very active part of fermetation. Then I let it go back to room temp which is 68-70 and it tends to help it finish a tad lower.

[/quote]

I have an area that size under my stairs that would make a great ferm. chamber. Does your AC unit vent outside, or into another room?
Mine is in the basement, so I would have to cut through concrete to get it outside.

[quote=“mrv”]I have an area that size under my stairs that would make a great ferm. chamber. Does your AC unit vent outside, or into another room?
Mine is in the basement, so I would have to cut through concrete to get it outside.[/quote]It vents into my office but there is no condensation with this unit. The office gets a bit warm but it’s tolerable.

BTW, there are more pictures on my website on the Kegerator page.

Cool, I could vent into our laundry room. Thanks, Greg.