Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Fermentation temp

hello, this my first time posting a question and happy to be apart of this community. I am relatively new to homebrewing and need some advice, batch #4. I have just brewed the NB Honey Brown and happy to say all is going great however i am concerned about the temp reading on the stick on thermometer. It is reading 74 but the temp inside my home is 70. The instructions state that a range from 62-72 is acceptibile. I made a yeast starter and it is going through a vigorous fermentation as we speak.I also have my blow off tube placed in the carboy. Should i be overly concerned with this temp reading or should i move it to another location during this fermentation process and is it ok to move it. Or calm down and let it play out. Thank you for your advice.

I personally would go by the internal temp in your home. None of the stick-on thermometers on my fermenters is consistent with my home thermistat, or the thermometer in the room in which I ferment. Heck, they (the stick-ons) aren’t even consistent with each other. It sounds like your brew is in the right place at the right temp.

Paul

Active fermentation will generally raise the temperature 1-2 degrees above ambient -sometimes more. I like my fermentation room around 62-64 to keep temps down. I would invest in a better thermometer than a “stick on” type - there are plenty of places in the brewing process where you want an accurate reading.

I’ll have to disagree. I find that my stick on strips are fairly accurate from one to the other.
If your home temp is 70 and the stick on reads 74, it’s more than likely right on. As for a cause for concern, I would move it and let it cool down slowly. I always try to keep the yeast at the lower end of the temp range. You could let it go and see how it turns out and do another at the cooler temp and compare the two. Good luck and I hope it tuns out well!

I have one of those IR temp guns and use it all the time. I have found the stick on thermometers to be mostly accurate, but yes, off by 1-2 degrees at times.

As I don’t have a climate controlled fermentation chamber yet, it is nice to be able to combine the reading of air temp with a standard thermometer and surface temps with the IR gun all around my house to figure out where to move my fermenter to keep the proper temp.

[quote=“brewerbender”]I’ll have to disagree. I find that my stick on strips are fairly accurate from one to the other.
If your home temp is 70 and the stick on reads 74, it’s more than likely right on.[/quote]
This.

For an American/British ale, 68°F is about the highest you’ll generally want to go (in a 5-10 gal fermenter). You can raise the temperature into the low 70s near the end of fermentation to help things finish up, but starting off that high isn’t going to give the best results.

Here’s one more vote on the need to drop your temps, and yes i have noticed that the strips are fairly accurate.

Fermentation generates heat. The stick on thermometer is reading correctly.

If you don’t see a 5-10 degree rise during fermentation, something is wrong :shock:

[quote]I’ll have to disagree. I find that my stick on strips are fairly accurate from one to the other.
If your home temp is 70 and the stick on reads 74, it’s more than likely right on.[/quote]

+1 And if you have the same problem I do and don’t really have a cooler place to keep your fermentor, you can always soak an old t-shirt in cold water and then pull it over the fermentor. The evaporation should help drop them tempurature by at least a few degrees. Just make sure to re-wet it regularly. In my experience I have been able to drop the temperature of my fermentor by about 5 degrees like this.

Thanks to all who had great input. Just a follow up. all the temps settled and the brew, while still very active, has remained at a consistent temp of 68 dg. With the warmer than usual weather I was able to drop the temp the ole fashion way, AC. I think I’ll get a deep freezer and control temp and leave it to a no worry process. Well, let’s hope. Thanks again to all

OK, then I just don’t get my stick on thermometers. I have 2 on each fermenter (2 glass, 2 better bottles and 2 buckets, and not a single one agrees with each other. I’ve been going by the thermometer I have in the room. I hadn’t considered that fermentation generates heat. So, I stand corrected, and have learned something today. Maybe if I replace the stick-ons with new ones all purchased from the same place…

Still learnin’.

Maybe a bad lot of thermometers? Just for kicks, we spread out an entire box on the counter at the LHBS once and they were all reading the same ±1°F.

I’ve also been told that getting them wet will ruin them. Because of that, I don’t know for sure, because I’ve always been careful not to wet them.

Well, the thermometers all pretty much came from different suppliers. I’m probably going to order a batch of them from NB and do that very experiment.

BTW, if you are patient enough and let it condition for a few weeks in the bottle, the NB Honey Brown is very, very good.

It also depends on the yeast, some are way more tolerent of the temp going up a bit over the recommended range.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com