Fermentation question..

It has been a few years scince I brewed, I just made an Amber (Fat Tire Clone) the other day. It has been in the fermenter for about 5 days now. I was planning on moving to secondary at 7 let it sit there and than kegg. Drinking two days later. I have been reading and saw some saying that thier beers are in the primary for about 3 weeks. This seemed long to me, I am asking should I let it sit for another week it is extract brew. Any advice would be great…thanks

Jon

There are byproducts the yeast make during fermentation that they later digest. Thus the longer times people take about. If you take it off the yeast cake, there are fewer yeast available to “clean up”.

Yes you could go 7 days in primary. XX days in secondary (you don’t mention a time frame). Then keg.

But, why clean/sanitize another vessel and tubing? Just leave it in the primary for the period you would in the secondary.

Yeah sorry was just going to leave it in secondary for about 5 days. Thanks for the info, I am going to leave it till Gavity stabalizes about 10 days and then kegg. appreciate it.

Jon

Is it the Fat Tire Clone kit from NB? If so I can tell you that I did 2 weeks primary then 4 weeks secondary then into the keg for carb and it came out great. Great flavor and easy to drink.

No it is a recipe the guy at Rocky Mountain Brewery in CO Springs through togather for me.

As it’s your 1st (?) brew after getting back into the swing of things, 10-14 days it should be finished.

You could then start drinking it in a couple of days (shake the keg to carbonate). After a week or so (if you don’t drink to much) it should hit it’s prime.

In the meantime, get anther batch going.

[quote=“Jon462”]Yeah sorry was just going to leave it in secondary for about 5 days. Thanks for the info, I am going to leave it till Gavity stabalizes about 10 days and then kegg. appreciate it.

Jon[/quote]

Secondary for only 5 days really serves no purpose. The only real reason to secondary is for beers that will sit in a fermenter for an extended period, say more than 5 weeks. If your beer will be done in 2 weeks as you describe, save the trouble and the risks that a transfer introduces. Also, 2 weeks is pretty short. Just because your brew is down to terminal gravity doesn’t mean the yeast are completely done. They do “clean up” by absorbing some compounds produced during fermentation that could lead to some off flavors. Try to have patience, give it an extra week and skip the transfer…