Fermentation/hydrometer

I’m brewing my first beer kit it has been in primary for about a week and two days. I used my hydrometer and the instructions say my fg should be about 1.010 to 1.012. the brew is currently reading about 1.012. My question is should I monitor it another day to see if it moves + or - 1.012, or would it be okay to bottle.

I have only taken one fg reading.

Thanks

I would take it again in 4-5days… I make sure mine stayed constant for 5-7days but also leave mine in primary for 3-4 weeks usually

Your beer will benefit from staying in primary fermenter for 3 weeks. Don’t be in a hurry to bottle it. The yeast will continue to take up off flavors even after the gravity is “where it should be.” Also, this allows you to not worry so much about constantly testing your gravity to see if it is where it should be.
Personally, I think the more often you mess with your beer, the more likely you are to cause a problem with it. Generally, I chill it, put it in the bucket, add yeast, put lid on and come back 3-4 weeks later - and that is the first time I do anything with it. At that point I bottle it, check gravity simply for curiosity and taste it.

I do the same thing as Braufessor. Making very good beer this way. Now, to update those stoopid instructions…

When you do bottle, in 3 weeks :wink: , fill one soda bottle with the beer. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. The bottle will expand as CO2 is produced. This way you know what is happening in the glass bottles.

Also, give the bottling bucket a gentle stir after ever 6pk or so. Just to make sure the sugar is staying mixed.