Fermentation concerns

Thank you kind sir…

I pitched 1/2 pack of yeast. 2 days ago. Fermentation picked back up and my gravity dropped from 1.022 “where it had seemed to be stuck at for a couple of days”. Checked it today it is now at 1.012.

All the advice given is very appreciated.

Much Thanks; BeerBelly.

1 Like

Kinda having a hard time swallowing Danstars statement, Osmosis is a process. As water filters through the earth doesn’t it collect molecules of minerals… Osmosis? So then to reverse we use filters to strip it of mineral molecules? I may be wrong, but just saying… Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeah “This is 100% uncut, not going to hurt anybody”

Water concentrations try to balance out just like “pressures”(flowing from high to low until even)

The water inside the yeast cells has “stuff” dissolved in it making it lower in concentration (just for thus example let’s say it’s 90% water and 10% cell components/elements)…if you put yeast cells into pure water (distilled or highly filtered water) the water flows into the cell to try and even out the concentrations (high to low…this is the process referred to as osmosis) and over fills the yeast cell with water and possibly rupturing it. If the water you put the yeast in is tap water (closer to the yeast internal water concentration) less water flows into the cells trying to balance the concentrations.

Reverse osmosis uses high pressures to push water through very fine filters or membranes that let the small water molecules through, but filter out the larger molecules otherwise known as water impurities.

Water filtering down through the earth picking up minerals the is just happening through a process referred to as “dissolving” the minerals not osmosis.

1 Like

Apparently Im the fish that gits hooked from biting on the wrong hook… Sneezles61

1 Like

I checked my gravity last night. Batch is setting at 1.009.
I think repitching was the right thing to do.

My OG was 1.054 and my FG is 1.009. That should have my ABV AT 5.9%. Seems high for this beer. Unless my math is wrong.
Thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback.

1 Like