Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Fermentation Chamber Build Complete (mostly)

It aint pretty, but it works and holds the temp pretty damn well. I’m doing some caulking on it now, once done I’ll sheath the outside with some plywood. Paint it and call it done.

What is it, A dorm fridge extended out?

In a nutshell, yes.

Uses an external temp controller and a CPU fan to circulate the air.

You should post a picture of the inside. Nice work, I don’t have the handy skills to build something like this…

After showing my wife this thread and stating “wow, that would be cool to do” she has formally requested you all stop posting stuff like this :smiley:

Still not 100% finished, but definitely closer to “done”. Got the temp controller mounted and the outer sheathing on.

Dual stage temp controller (STC-1000)

Hinges installed. Lid fits nicely.

Here’s a shot of the interior. You can see where I have a CPU fan mounted by the freezer box to circulate the air. Kind of a hack install with the fan (used zip ties) - but it’s in there.

Opposite end of the chamber. That’s the STC-1000 temperature prob / sensor hanging down.

What was the total cost for this project?

Hmmm…

$300-ish

I probably could have done it more economically. And you may be able to find a chest freezer for cheaper. But it was a fun project anyway.

Suuuuuper jealous. Who cares if it costs more? That’s 80% of the homebrew culture. DIY mutha fucka!

This thing is handsome Chris. Temp control is frigging awesome and it changes your stuff from ‘homebrew’ to ‘beer’.

What is inside on the ‘sides’ of the unit (ie NOT where the lid opens?) I ask because it would be awesome if you could modify it at some point to roll a conical on some casters in and out of there without having to lift it.

Nice work!

[quote=“Pietro”]This thing is handsome Chris. Temp control is frigging awesome and it changes your stuff from ‘homebrew’ to ‘beer’.

What is inside on the ‘sides’ of the unit (ie NOT where the lid opens?) I ask because it would be awesome if you could modify it at some point to roll a conical on some casters in and out of there without having to lift it.

Nice work![/quote]

Hahaha - “handsome”…thanks for the kind words. Not sure I would call it handsome, but it works.

Yeah, I can definitely mod this thing in the future. The sides consist of 1/4" plywood, 2x4s and foil-backed insulation. It would be fairly simply to move the opening from the top to the side.

My wife tells me that she likes the the chamber b/c it’s the perfect size for storing my dead body. I’ll take that as a compliment.

Nice work. Now all you have to do is stain or detail the outside somehow to make it look “pretty”.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com