Ferment Temperature

I brewed and pitched the Bavarian Hefeweizen kit from NB with dry Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast pak. On the instructions, under the “kit inventory” its says "Optimum temp 55 - 66f. Question: does this mean a storage temp or optimum fermentation temp?
My basement room where I leave fermenting beer in the pail (most often) with a carb, is approx 62 when its really cold night, as high as 66 when its not too cold out, these days.
Also - is the ferment time on this recipe really only 2 weeks? No secondary ferment required/recommended?
Thank you.

That is the optimum fermentation temperature. You can expect a 3° to 5° temperature increase during fermentation from the yeasts activity.
Fermentation could be done in two weeks. Length of time depends upon variables. Stable hydrometer reading will indicate when fermentation is complete. A secondary is not necessary. One of the traits of a Hefe is being hazy. Adding a week to the time in the primary, after fermentation is complete, will allow the yeast time to clean up by-products of fermentation for a better finished product.

Thank you Flars, very much.

That is a bare bones basic primer. During the next three weeks I would suggest reading the book “The Joy of Home Brewing”. You will have many more questions. or John Palmers’ first edition at this link free. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/index.html

A post I maid earlier today on the topic of primary/secondary.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115490#p1011608

2 weeks is plenty with this brew for fermentation and 2 weeks in the bottle as long as you can store them above 70F. Longer if it’s below 70F. Hefes are great green. I don’t know what my Bav. Hefe tasted like after 2 months :wink:

All very helpful information from you folks. THANKS! A follow up question…I always first ferment in the classic 5 gal bucket with lid and carb bubbler. I’ve never first fermented in a carboy. I’ve never needed (or used) a blow off hose and system. Am I missing something? Is there a difference in fermenting in a bucket with lid, vs a carboy and bung/bubbler? or blowoff hose? Is it a matter of the style of beer I am brewing.
Cheers and thank you.

[quote=“GGriffin”]All very helpful information from you folks. THANKS! A follow up question…I always first ferment in the classic 5 gal bucket with lid and carb bubbler. I’ve never first fermented in a carboy. I’ve never needed (or used) a blow off hose and system. Am I missing something? Is there a difference in fermenting in a bucket with lid, vs a carboy and bung/bubbler? or blowoff hose? Is it a matter of the style of beer I am brewing.
Cheers and thank you.[/quote]
Nope, just preference. I started off with plastic carboys and enjoy the portability and like that I can see fermentation but lots of people ferment in buckets. One good reason is like you said, more headspace so you rarely need a blow-off and also they’re cheaper and easily replaced. If you’re going to age a beer a long time, say over 4 months, I would use a carboy because buckets are air (O2) permeable.