Ferment in 5 ga

is it ok to ferment 1 gallon of brew in a 5 gallon fermentor???

It’s been done before, but that’s a lot of headspace filled with oxygen. As long as you don’t splash too much after fermentation (causing oxidation), it can be done. Another option would be to purge the headspace with CO2. Brew on!!

the ferment pushes air out the lock,yes???
after that its right into a co2 environment so it seems it would be ok…no??

[quote=“38812”]the ferment pushes air out the lock,yes???
after that its right into a co2 environment so it seems it would be ok…no??[/quote]

The thing is, a five gallon batch produces so much CO2 and displaces so little oxygen from such a small headspace compared to a one gallon batch in the same container. I wouldn’t be sure all the oxygen gets evacuated with only a one gallon batch. But, like DrGonzo says, it’s been done before. Give it a try,though, who knows. Good luck if you decide to try it. :cheers:

My biggest concern with this approach is the broad surface area provided by the 5gal fermenter. Add to that the trub/yeast that will settle to the bottom. Even if you tilt the carboy prior to racking you will leave quiet a bit behind.

My suggestion- get a 2 gallon plastic bucket. Our host sells them or you can check out your grocery-bakery section.

Yes

so is the 1 gallon fermentor kit sold here on NB too small for a 1 gallon batch because of blow off???
I bought it exactly for 1 gallon batches…

[quote=“38812”]so is the 1 gallon fermentor kit sold here on NB too small for a 1 gallon batch because of blow off???
I bought it exactly for 1 gallon batches…[/quote]

I have brewed several 1 gallon batches in the 1 gallon fermenter with no issues. I only had to use the blow off tube (which is supplied) on one occasion with a high gravity beer and it worked great.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]My biggest concern with this approach is the broad surface area provided by the 5gal fermenter. Add to that the trub/yeast that will settle to the bottom. Even if you tilt the carboy prior to racking you will leave quiet a bit behind.

My suggestion- get a 2 gallon plastic bucket. Our host sells them or you can check out your grocery-bakery section.[/quote]

I got one at my local grocery store, bucket and lid, for $4.