Feeling very discouraged

You’re correct that a strong solventy or alcohol flavor doesnt’ typically come from water, but from fermentation temperatures. I assume you’re brewing with extract? You can certainly pick up some odd flavors from hard water with extract, since the extract already contains all the minerals from the original mash that produced the wort that eventually became DME. Add the minerals in your water, and you have the potential to stress out the yeast and create off flavors. I had a lot of plasticky flavors when I used my well water and extract, which was one of the things that drove me to all-grain brewing. One thing at a time, try some pure distilled water for your next brew, and you’ll be able to eliminate at least one variable.

Yes, extract. I kept my fermentation temps within a degree of 66 on the most recent batch, which is what made that one so discouraging. I thought that would fix it since I was in the low to mid 70s on the previous batches.

But then you’d miss out on the good advice that has been posted before me :slight_smile:

When did you brew the various kits? One a first read of this thread, it was reasonable to suspect that there is a seasonal change in your water source - but if the seven (or so) kits were brewed over the last year, the suspicion would be suspect…

So what @flars asked for here remains helpful …

… especially if you can provide the dates for the previous kits that you brewed. The ‘lag time’ between pitching the yeast and the start of visible fermentation may also be helpful in determining if the yeast was stressed. @wilcolandzaat’ s idea of giving the yeast a ‘happy’ environment is good in the long run, but there may be a simpler explanation in this situation.

In addition to what @porkchop said here:

consider buying/using a new siphon & new hoses (unless you are comfortable with your siphon disassembly, cleaning, and sanitation process) for your next batch. In a ‘worst case’ scenario, you’ll end up with a backup siphon and an extra hose.

What is the style of the batch that is currently in your fermenter? If, after primary fermentation is complete, the batch has some of the same off flavors, could you dry hop it so that it is an enjoyable beer?

1 Like

I can say that I didn’t take super detailed notes on all of the details you’re asking about. I know that the first three bad batches fermented too warm (low to mid 70s) pitched yeast a little high (mid 70s) on a couple of them. I know that I didn’t oxygenate very well on a few of them too. Active fermentation started within 24 hours for all of them, so no huge lag time or anything. 2 with liquid yeast (no starter) and 2 with dry. I don’t use the syphon or any tubing on brew day. I pour through a sieve into the fermentor. I cool with ice in the sink. I think my cleaning and sanitation methods are pretty good (PBW and star san). Water is filtered municipal tap water. Time in primary was 4 weeks on the first 3 batches, 3 weeks on the most recent. I don’t do secondary. Bottle conditioning is 2 weeks until I try the first one. Carbonation was a little high on a couple of them, but not too bad. Conditioning temp between 67-70.

1st good batch was brewed Nov. 1st, flavor was good, but very overcarbonated. Caribou slobber.
2nd good batch brewed in Jan. Citra pale ale. One of the best beers I’ve ever had.
3rd decent batch was in Feb, Wheat ale. Didn’t turn out great, but no real obvious off flavors.
4th batch March, Saison de Noel. Off flavors and strong alcohol flavor and smell.
5th and 6th, March, Le Petite Orange and Milk Chocolate Stout. Both have the off flavors I’ve been describing, orange also has a spicy, hefewiesny flavor which was unexpected.
7th in April, White House Honey Ale, off flavors and spiciness
8th in May is a heavily hopped IPA, so I think I’ll be fine on that one. Will pull a sample and taste this weekend prior to dry hopping.

I think next steps are using distilled water, buying new tubing and bottling wand I guess, though I smell some of the off flavors in the fermentor, so it’s unlikely I’m getting any contamination there.

When’s the last time you changed the filter? If I’m a betting man I’m saying your municipal water supply is treated with chloramine and it’s the source of your issue.

might get a water report you might find your issue over there . damn sucks this keep on going its like the quest for the holy grail. you might want to change yeast see if this helps . and try to use a secondary fermenter. let it stand longer before you bottle.

Its not your racking cane its a combination fermentation control and probably your water. Municipal water is problematic for sure. Use distilled for extract . if you go all grain I would mix distilled and regular bottled.

Perhaps you should plan to take time off from work in November and January of every year and just go on a brewing rampage. Brew every day during those months since it seems that your brews from those months are good. But seriously, how are you monitoring temperature? Temperature is the main suspect for the problems you are facing, and the beers you said came out good were brewed in cold months. The ones you did not like were brewed in warmer months.

There was no temp control at all until the most recent batch. I have a small freezer I used with a temp controller. Taped the probe on the outside of the fermenter and covered with a cloth. Kept the temp within a degree of 66. I had assumed my issue was temp prior to that which made it particularly maddening when the newest batch had the same issue.

I’ll beat that horse one more time. Its your water.

1 Like

have you tried campden tablets? I use them and my water is drinkable from the faucet. Just a thought.

how are you reading the temp?

the probe should really be sealed off from the ambient temp in the fridge. cloth might not be enough.

what about your cooking pot? If scrubbed too hard in an area, the stainless is removed. How is the plastic if you have any, bucket, fermenter?

I just let my probe dangle out in the cooler when I ferment in the freezementor… I am suspicious of a contamination, maybe not a big one, but its just lingering enough to throw you an off flavor… Either try different water source, or the day before boil all the water you’ll brew with, decant after its cooled then brew…. Sneezles61