Feedback on 20-min boil recipe?

I am planning on my first-ever 20 minute extract/specialty boil. I am planning on making a strong pale ale (or weak IPA, depending on how you look at it), and am planning on a 3-gallon batch since the recipe and method are untested for me. Would love to hear your thoughts on:

(1) Your experiences with the 20-minute extract/specialty boil method; and

(2) Reaction to the following 3 gallon recipe:

4 lbs. Light DME
4 oz. Crystal 40
4 oz. Carapils
0.5 oz. Simcoe - 20 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo - 20 min.
0.5 oz. Simcoe - 5 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo - 5 min.
0.5 oz. Simcoe - 0 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo - 0 min.
0.5 oz. Simcoe - dry hop (7 days)
0.5 oz. Amarillo - dry hop (7 days)

O.G. = 1.058; F.G. = 1.014
ABV = 5.7; IBUs = 54

Thanks!

–BrewRaider

Did you calculate IBUs based on the actual alpha acid % or are the IBUs just an average? When I use 13% alpha for Simcoe and 7% alpha for Amarillo (which are pretty typical values) then I only get 45 IBUs, so the beer might not turn out quite as bitter as you would like.

In any case, it looks like a great recipe. I have had great results with the hopbursting method, which is really what you are talking about here.

The main adjustment I would consider is to double the amount of Crystal 40 to give a little more color and sweetness to help balance the beer. However that’s kind of optional if you want a lighter beer.

For more hop flavor and aroma you could also consider doubling the amount of dry hops, but again that’s totally optional.

Looks good. Hope you love it. :cheers:

I do 40 minute boils a lot and have done a few 30 minute boils. I like to get a very vigorous boil going to help drive off the oxygen.

Your recipe looks solid to me, nothing crazy going on.