Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Favorite self-made recipe?

I just use MO, .67lb choc malt, .75lb oats, .5lb roasted barley, .5lb crystal 80. Northdown for bittering. American ale yeast.
Batch size 5.5gal, OG 1.055, 34IBU’s.

Edit: Added batch size and IBU’s and corrected type-o in recipe.

mmmm, oatmeat :lol:

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]
I just use MO, .67lb choc malt, .75lb oats, .5lb roasted barley, .75lb crystal 80. Northdown for bittering and change up a small aroma addition on occasion. American ale yeast. OG 1.055[/quote]

looks good! I’ve been meaning to try out northdown

I have a chocolate brown that seems to be a favorite of the wife and friends - it is 6 lbs of dry amber malt extract with a pound of chocolate malt grain, and enough hops to get it to around 25 IBU’s. I used the pound of chocolate malt because that’s the smallest size my LHBS sells and I didn’t feel like having some extra left over. I pitched S-04 and it does give the british ale flavor. It is brown but doesn’t give the roasted/coffee flavor, so it is pretty smooth. The color is nearly black, with a very deep garnet color that comes across.

I think next time I will try making it with 6 lbs of light dry malt extract to lighten it up a little. At the same time I’ll split the recipe so that I can find out the difference between S-04 and US-05 or 1056.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”] [quote=“Baratone Brewer”]
I just use MO, .67lb choc malt, .75lb oats, .5lb roasted barley, .75lb crystal 80. Northdown for bittering and change up a small aroma addition on occasion. American ale yeast. OG 1.055[/quote]

looks good! I’ve been meaning to try out northdown[/quote]
I have also had great results with using a Northdown/ UK Goldings Blend.

My Ever So Slightly Rye IIPA

I have maybe 100 or so…no favorite. Most are good. Current favorite one on tap might be Leroy Brown.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1278012/amer ... ipes/leroy

Not to sound like an a$$, but ever since I went AG all of my beers have been self made…that’s the beauty of AG. But I have followed one recipe very close and that’s Mr. Conns Rye IPA(different hops).

That sounds really quite tasty. I love dark beers and stouts are among my favorite. I assume lagering it would dry it out some? What’s the recipe? Maybe I’ll give it a go.[/quote]

Here ya go.

5.5 lbs American 2-row
5.0 lbs Marris Otter 2 row
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
0.5 lb De-bittered Black Patent
0.5 lb Caramunich
Wyeast 2206, 3L starter
1 oz Halletaur at 60

edit: 90 min mash at 152F, 1.5qts/lb.

I let this one go a long time. 7-8 week primary at 52-55F, 2 day d-rest at 62, 4 month lagering at 33-36. 3 week bottle condition.

cheers.[/quote]

Just picked up the ingredients to brew this either Sunday or Monday morning. Gonna get the yeast starter going tonight and then step it up again on Saturday or Sunday night…depending on when I am actually brewing.

You will not be disappointed…if you’re patient. I guar-an-damn-tee it!

:cheers:

Do you have a recipe :lol:

Actually, I’ve got a batch in bottles right now. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite that I’ve developed is a rye stout. I had one at Revolution Brewing in Chicago and had to try making my own.

I really liked this IIPA. I rarely re-make recipes. but this one i have made twice. I also really enjoy the stouts i make

Scogg’s FireYeti IIPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/23/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Scoggin
Boil Size: 8.12 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.63 %
12.8 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.83 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.53 %

1.75 oz Summit [15.00 %] (75 min) Hops 66.6 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.8 IBU

1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (2 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Dry hop: 1oz Citra, 1oz Amarillo, .25oz summit

2 packs US-05

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.089 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG (I shoot for 1.018)
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.98 %
Bitterness: 109.4 IBU
Est Color: 9.7 SRM

Edit: this recipe is from the first batch. the second time i went for 100 IBU, and was very pleased

I had a Fulton Sweet Child of Vine at lunch just before I went to Northern to get my ingredients for brewing. Fell in love with the beer and quickly looked to their website for information. After a little help from NB came up with an ingredient list that we thought might work and 5 weeks later had a killer beer. Similar but different than SCofV but great and I have a batch in secondary as we speak. It is my new house beer.

G&R Lives On:

6.9% ABV
69 IBU
12.3 SRM
Glacier and Simcoe hops

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com