Favorite base malt?

I have become a devotee of Maris Otter recently, but will always have a spot in my heart (and on my grain bill) for Munich. Is there any base malt you can’t do without, or that finds its way into nearly every recipe?

:cheers:

Moravian pale ale malt! When I can find it. Bohemian is pretty much the same I guess.

Scott

With respect to traditional base malt, I use Rahr 2-row for probably 70% of my beers and then MO for the rest, with the exception of the annual wit that I brew for a friend using Pilsner.

I’ve been using a lot of white wheat malt and/or flaked wheat recently in IPAs at 30-45% of the grist. I really like the results and have started to keep plenty of both products on hand.

I usually use Rahr 2-row now days.

I also really like Golden Promise, and Vienna 8)

Munich is at the top of my list, I make German Ales more than anything. Next would be 2-row and Maris Otter.

I feel a real need to use properly sourced malts appropriate for the various styles. Its one of the luxuries of being a home brewer in the 21st century. Could I get by with domestic malt? Maybe, but wheres the fun in that? German Munich and pils, British MO and crystals, Rahr for my pale ales.

The one time I really don’t stick with this is in IPAs. I’ve used MO but actually prefer a more neutral base malt like the Rahr 2-row. Then again I"m mostly into the AIPAs.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]

I’ve been using a lot of white wheat malt and/or flaked wheat recently in IPAs at 30-45% of the grist. I really like the results and have started to keep plenty of both products on hand.[/quote]

Can you pinpoint what it is that you like about this? What does it give to the malt character, just the slick wheat character? That seems like a TON of wheat!

Wheat really doesn’t have a very distinctive flavor per se, I would think it just attenuates the malt flavor and maybe adds a little body. Not to mention, in my experience using wheat in a beer seems to make it drop very clear. I like using it at 5% in a lot of styles.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“kcbeersnob”]

I’ve been using a lot of white wheat malt and/or flaked wheat recently in IPAs at 30-45% of the grist. I really like the results and have started to keep plenty of both products on hand.[/quote]

Can you pinpoint what it is that you like about this? What does it give to the malt character, just the slick wheat character? That seems like a TON of wheat![/quote]
It is a lot of wheat. I’m essentially making an American wheat IPA with only 2-row and wheat, calculated at 70IBUs and weighing in at 6.7-7% ABV. In terms of flavor, I think it’s more about what the wheat doesn’t add than what it does. Very clean but still pleasing “malty” background that allows the hops to really shine when combined with Wyeast 1056. Also a very light color, great mouthfeel and strong head retention. It’s very simple, but it really works for me.

+1—makes a nice honey wheat and american pale.

I’ve recently become a devoted fan of mixing a little Vienna into nearly all of my IPA recipes. I love what it does for the color and the flavor.

basemalt - rahr 2 row for ales, Best Pilz for lagers

but I use a lot of Munich, MO and vienna

I really like rhar two row. A big plus is the price. I was upset to find out that the homebrew store in KC raised the price to $55 from $45.

I’m guessing that’s a reference to Bacchus & Barleycorn. Nearly everything they sell is hugely marked up. I only buy yeast and occasionally specialty grains from them.

The last sack of Rahr 2-row I ordered from NB cost less than $45 delivered.

I’m surprised NB is still selling Rahr so cheap. My own local source has gone up to $43 a sack.

I use Canada Malting 2-Row for most of my beers. I get a pretty good price from a janitorial supply company and buy about 6 sacks at a time.

Is there more to the story of a janitorial supply company that sells malt? Is malt a common janitorial supply? I mean, janitors gotta drink as much as the next guy I suppose.

Is there more to the story of a janitorial supply company that sells malt? Is malt a common janitorial supply? I mean, janitors gotta drink as much as the next guy I suppose.[/quote]No its just a buddy of mine who works there and is a homebrewer. He coonvinced them to let him sell homebrew supplies. Ezell Supplies in Royal Oak, MI

I’m guessing that’s a reference to Bacchus & Barleycorn. Nearly everything they sell is hugely marked up. I only buy yeast and occasionally specialty grains from them.

The last sack of Rahr 2-row I ordered from NB cost less than $45 delivered.[/quote]
I usually only buy bulk grain there. I live in wichita and was in the area for a wedding. I didn’t know prices went up. Shipping a bag from NB runs about $51. I might just do that in the future or get it from local breweries

Looks like a lot of votes for Rahr 2-row. I primarily use GW 2-row for American beers and MO for English Styles.

I am coming to the end of my last sack of GW 2-row… Comparatively, how is Rahr different in terms of tastes, etc?