Favorite Ales from Recipe Kits

I’ve been back in the business of brewing since January after taking a break of over thirty years and have brewed eight different ales since, including some repeats. I’ve used mostly NB’s LME kits. The ones I have brewed are the Irish Red, Cream Ale, Extra Pale,Chinook IPA, Kama Citra IPA, and Dead Ringer IPA, as well as Octoberfest and Blarney Stone from Home Brew USA. I’m going to brew the Kiwi Express IPA tomorrow. All have been wonderful in their own way, but…

So far, the Kama Citra has been the hands on favorite recipe for me and have ordered another from NB. Love the Citra hoppiness of this bitter finish brew.

I’m open to new ideas. in your experience, what comes close to matching the flavors of the Kama Citra? The experimenting has been fun but I’m wanting to narrow it down to something in this brews flavor range. What are your ideas, thoughts and preferences?

Jerry

[quote=“Hopsinheld”]So far, the Kama Citra has been the hands on favorite recipe for me and have ordered another from NB. Love the Citra hoppiness of this bitter finish brew.
[/quote]

I would also place my vote for the Kama Citra. Granted I have only tried 5 of the ale kits from NB,it is still my favorite.

I just brewed the Zombie Dirt, and it uses lots of citra hops so that should be good for you. It is still in the primary so can’t tell you the taste for a few more weeks.
It is a clone of Three Floyds Zombie Dust so if it is anything close to the original it should be very good.

Thanks for your replies DrShroom and FFunk. I’m happy to see a second vote for Kama Citra and for the push in a new direction for the Zombie Dirt. The last is a bit expensive but I may have to try it at least once.

Love those Citra hops!

Jerry

A little late with a reply, but the Drydock Breakwater Pale Ale is really good as well.

Although late as you say, I have to chime in. I have a slight variant of this ready to rack from primary right now, and I’ve brewed a total of six of these so far. Just a good, easy drinking beer with a noticeable hop bite and a nice citrusy (citra) aroma and flavor. It’s my “go to” for a house ale.

Just kegged my Zombie Dirt clone, after some issues with hops extract clogging the dipstick (had to clear it out 2-3 times), live and learn. Turned out very good, can’t wait to get home (IN) and try a Zombie Dust to compare.
Very nice and hoppy with slight citrus overtones.
This is just my second beer (first was the Moose Drool clone) and I am really beginning to love this home brew stuff. :cheers: