Faucets

Hey folks,

I just started kegging recently. I like it much better than bottles. I like the luxury of being able to have a couple different smaller beers, if I just want a little taste, I can have a small glass, if I want to pour a 22oz glass, I can; it’s swell.

My issue is my faucets.

If I don’t pour a beer for a day, and even when I do pour everyday sometimes, my faucets are stuck. I assume that its the sugars clogging up the valve mechanism. I went on vacation recently for 4 days, and when I came back to pour a beer, I thought I wasn’t ever going to get it unstuck (then I pulled harder, and it came unstuck). I don’t feel like that should be an issue.

So, are the perlick faucets better in this sense? Do I need new faucets, or am I doing something wrong?

Matt

I’ve only ever had Perlick (other than picnic taps) so I don’t have much to compare it to but I’ve never had a stuck faucet. I clean my lines/faucets every 3-4 kegs by running PBW and BLC through them but I don’t do anything other than that.

Standard faucets are prone to stickage because they are forward sealing, so the mechanics get coated with beer, and then dry out and get crusty. Perlicks are rear sealing, so the mechanism stays wet and sticks less. Having said that, I have standard faucets, and they work fine for me. I keep a small spray bottle filled with sanitizer on top of my fridge, after a drinking session I squirt a few sprays up the faucets and they’re good. If you forget to spray, all you need to do is spray about 5 minutes before you pull a pint and it will be loosened up for you.

^^^ Good plan by CliffordBrewing.

I try to give the tap a squirt of Starsan every day (that I remember) when I am not using the keg. This has all but eliminated the sticking tap problem. It is a work around rather than a solution, but I’m happy with the results.

New faucets it is. Like you say Scott, I want a solution. Plus, I wouldn’t remember to spray them everyday.

Thanks everyone.

Definitely hit up the Perlicks. I had standard faucets to start and had the same issues.

I’ll have to try that. Awhile back, someone posted a picture of a stuck faucet that was forced. Snapped the stem off.
Right now, my solution is to keep the beer flowing. Never let them dry out. :cheers:

I’ll have to try that. Awhile back, someone posted a picture of a stuck faucet that was forced. Snapped the stem off.
Right now, my solution is to keep the beer flowing. Never let them dry out. :cheers: [/quote]

I’ve also noticed different beers stick less than others. Ryes and IPA’s tend to not stick for me, even without spraying or pulling a pint for up to a week. I have a cream ale right now that sticks after a few hours even if I spray!

I have 6 Perlicks. Never have sticking with them. Never spray them down. I clean the lines every few kegs, but that may be months. I’ve come back after weeks of vacation and not had any issues with them. I’ve never had standard faucets, so I can’t say what they are like, but my Perlicks are hassle free.

When shopping for faucets, ( not necessarily new ones), are there any identifying marks, logo’s, part #'s, scripts, etc…, visible on the Perlicks?

The handle is behind the spout. I don’t have any (yet), but I would imagine they say Perlick.

There is a logo on the front of the faucet. You can see it if you go here and click on the thumbnail that shows the faucet from the front: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the- … teel.html#

I’ll throw in my support for the Perlick also. I’ve got 6 of them and never have any sticking issues.

Thank you much!

I know this thread is a little old, but I would make sure your shanks will fit with the Perlicks before you buy. Maybe bring one of your shanks into a local shop that carries the faucets and test it. Quite a few people (myself included) have issues with the teeth on the newer Perlicks meshing with their shanks.