Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Faucets/Keezer

I just purchased a pretty sweet old Sears coldspot chest freezer. I read they stopped making them in 76 so this thing is vintage. Inside diameters are 44 3/4 long by 25 wide and 30 deep. I cant fit 8 cornys on the bottom with enough room between them and the wall to put 6 packs the whole length; along with the whole hump being available for whatever. I do not need a collar as there is plenty of room inside for hosing to fit. I want to do a counter top deal on it; not a enclosed one where it no longer looks like a keezer but a simple/nice stained wood “counter” top over most of the lid with a short stained wood box large enough to hold 8 taps and a drip tray underneath. I planned on doing a single hole for each hose from keg to tap and secure it with plumbers putty. The wood housing that holds the taps and say 8-12inchs of hosing; should that be insulated? Having 2 ounces of warm beer in my pint isn’t a concern over energy lose but I cant imagine it would be much to any if it wasn’t insulated with the drilled holes being lined with putty. My other question is where is the best spot to get faucets/shanks? I would like to get something decent. The top of the line ones are nice but I’m not sure yet if I want to drop 50-60 on each faucet. 30-35 sounds much nicer for now. I also think I’m going to give this thing a retro paint job…Flat red/white or black on the “accent” angles. I think gold taps might look slick with the paint or SS/gold every other one. Any thoughts, warning, help is appreciated.

When I was shopping for my taps/shanks a few months ago, I found the best prices (don’t forget to add in tax/shipping) for the combo were at the beverage factory. Their site and others below.

Also, you can compare with our host’s prices or any other LHBS near you.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=144

http://beverageequipmentco.com/index.html

my lhbs:

cheers

Thanks! I’m actually on beverage factory right now. I just wish there was a bulk option. My other question is can I just remove the picnic faucet from the sets I have now and connect to the back of the shank? If I match I.D. of course. Or do I need to purchase all new tubing ect?

If your current picnic tap line works well, no reason not to reuse it. But, line is very cheap so depending on its age you might want to replace it now and save the picnic set up for your next “picnic.”

cheers

I think I will replace it. Some are brand new and others are 6 months old. Might as well do it right the first time.

That sounds like an awesome find! Other than the energy consumption concerns I love retro stuff and the way it looks. Good luck on the project, all sounds good

I’m not sure if energy consumption will really be an issue. The temperature controller from what I understand only cycles the compressor for a few minutes every half hour or so to keep it at say 45 instead of everything being frozen. I hope its not a lot at least.

I’m not sure if energy consumption will really be an issue. The temperature controller from what I understand only cycles the compressor for a few minutes every half hour or so to keep it at say 45 instead of everything being frozen. I hope its not a lot at least.

You’re probably right about the energy thing, I don’t think it will be drastic but it still probably will be higher usage than if you bought a newer model. That said, the vintage affect may make up for that

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com