Fast fermentation to start now slow

Article from BYO on this topic. I’ve only used the controllers so I cannot speak to these but there are a few DIY solutions.

http://byo.com/stories/item/1869-contro ... techniques

Ok so a little update, instead of keeping it in the corner of the dining room where my daughter loves to run around and act like a princess. I currently have it in an upstairs closet where its a little cooler towel is now removed also added a small fan to blow on it to try and bring the temp down. I currently do not have a way to take a temp reading unless I remove the airlock and slide the thermometer in, will this process be safer than removing the top or should I remove the top and take a gravity reading. Has been in the fermentation stage since the 26th of this month? I truly appreciate all the input from homebrew veterans I think I will really enjoy turning my new found hobby into a passion for creating my own brews.

Off flavors will have already been added to the beer at this point if it was too warm. Don’t sweat it, look at cheap solutions in that article for your next brew. This isn’t something that will make you spit it out so relax and pick one of these fermometers up for next time. Just stick it to the side of your carboy or bucket.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermometer.html

I recommend checking and recording the temp in your notes as often as you can.

Trying to control temps several days after the intense primary fermentation has completed is not going to make much difference. The damage occurs when the temps are too high during the initial day or two of fermentation. Also the higher the temps, the faster it goes, raising the temps even higher.

Try to keep your actual beer temps in the mid 60’s for the first week and then you can let it rise to ambient temps without issue.

[quote=“560sdl”]Trying to control temps several days after the intense primary fermentation has completed is not going to make much difference. The damage occurs when the temps are too high during the initial day or two of fermentation. Also the higher the temps, the faster it goes, raising the temps even higher.

Try to keep your actual beer temps in the mid 60’s for the first week and then you can let it rise to ambient temps without issue.[/quote]

It was kept around mid 60’s now in slightly warmer temps so I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the imput