Farmhouse Recipe Thoughts?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1376226/sais ... -farmhouse

I think you will need to gelatinize the rice first. http://beergeno.me/2011/12/brewing-with-wild-rice/

Not sure the “nutty” character of the rice fits my thoughts of an ideal saison but it is kinda cool in theory since it fits the local grain farmhouse thing. 3711 and sterling great choices as well.

Recipe seems a bit busy to me. I’m all about KISS grain bills lately. My standard saison turns out good and is like 80% pils, 20% wheat, a tiny bit, less than 1% chocolate (for color only) with wyeast 3726. All of the Farmhouse Ales book recipes are pretty basic as well.

If I really wanted to fool with the wild rice, I would go 89% pils, 10% wild rice, <1% chocolate. I would steam cook the rice well maybe night before, pulse a few times is blender to get access to starch then and add to mash as usual.

It’s you’re beer and I don’t see anything that could really screw it up, so gopher it if it sounds cool to you…

In any event, make sure you post some results!

[quote=“zwiller”]I think you will need to gelatinize the rice first. http://beergeno.me/2011/12/brewing-with-wild-rice/

Not sure the “nutty” character of the rice fits my thoughts of an ideal saison but it is kinda cool in theory since it fits the local grain farmhouse thing. 3711 and sterling great choices as well.

Recipe seems a bit busy to me. I’m all about KISS grain bills lately. My standard saison turns out good and is like 80% pils, 20% wheat, a tiny bit, less than 1% chocolate (for color only) with wyeast 3726. All of the Farmhouse Ales book recipes are pretty basic as well.

If I really wanted to fool with the wild rice, I would go 89% pils, 10% wild rice, <1% chocolate. I would steam cook the rice well maybe night before, pulse a few times is blender to get access to starch then and add to mash as usual.

It’s you’re beer and I don’t see anything that could really screw it up, so gopher it if it sounds cool to you…

In any event, make sure you post some results![/quote]

I will be cereal mashing the wild rice. I usually try to keep things simple, but this time I thought EXPERIMENT.

I have not used wild rice before, but have used long grain white.

I cooked it the night before. then kept adding water to the pot as it soaked up more water, keeping 1" of water above the rice. Topping off with a 1-2 inches before going to bed.

In the morning bring it up to your mash temp. Add enough water to avoid burning, 2-3".

With the wild rice I might use a stick blender to break it up. With the white I just dumped it in the MT.

Zip, good luck. Looks like a great beer to experiment with, especially the cereal mash.

Also, let us know how that Zythos hop blend IPA turns out too!

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I have not used wild rice before, but have used long grain white.

I cooked it the night before. then kept adding water to the pot as it soaked up more water, keeping 1" of water above the rice. Topping off with a 1-2 inches before going to bed.

In the morning bring it up to your mash temp. Add enough water to avoid burning, 2-3".

With the wild rice I might use a stick blender to break it up. With the white I just dumped it in the MT.[/quote]

Denny Conn Suggests: Just add rice, water (maybe a bit more than you’d normally use to cook the rice) and some malt (about 10% of your base malt amount is the ROT) to a pot. The malt helps keep the rice from getting “gluey” but isn’t strictly necessary. Bring it up to the 150s and hold for maybe 10 min. or so to convert the barley. Then bring it to a boil and boil until the rice is pretty mushy. Then add to the main mash.

[quote=“zwiller”]Zip, good luck. Looks like a great beer to experiment with, especially the cereal mash.

Also, let us know how that Zythos hop blend IPA turns out too![/quote]

Loved the hop. Got infected. REALLY Pissed! Try again…

[quote=“Zip100473”][quote=“Nighthawk”]I have not used wild rice before, but have used long grain white.

With the wild rice I might use a stick blender to break it up. With the white I just dumped it in the MT.[/quote]

Denny Conn Suggests: Just add rice, water (maybe a bit more than you’d normally use to cook the rice) and some malt (about 10% of your base malt amount is the ROT) to a pot. The malt helps keep the rice from getting “gluey” but isn’t strictly necessary. Bring it up to the 150s and hold for maybe 10 min. or so to convert the barley. Then bring it to a boil and boil until the rice is pretty mushy. Then add to the main mash.[/quote]

I just read that and wondered where my comment was. 2 threads on wild rice in 1 day!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110031

The beer that I made, with long grain white, had the anticipated OG/FG with out adding barley to to rice while cooking it.

Until I do a beer with wild rice, I’ll yield to Denny’s knowledge. :wink:

Denny just has a way of simplifying things. I always get excited when he responds to my posts.

Any problems seen with fermenting this in my hot porch? Away from the sun?

Don’t see why not. I would still pitch cool and hold there until fermentation kicks into high gear.

I’d keep it inside till it kicks off. I do starters so I should be good!

Sounds great rock on!

Any thoughts on using WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend?

I love the WLP670!
Here are some of my posts about it http://embracethefunk.com//?s=wlp670&search=Go