False Bottom Question

I am building a style of Brutus 10 system and my question is do I need a false bottom on all 3 tanks?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Should only need a false bottom for your mashing vessel I would assume.

You only need the false bottom in your mash tun. If you are going to use a plate chiller, I would suggest you put your hops in nylon hop bags available at your LHBS. Recirculating the mash slowly should work fine but if you make anything with a high volume of wheat you may want to build a Grant to slowly lauter into and after a gal or two slowly recirculate your mash from the Grant back into the mash tun. Good luck with your build.

Thank you, why do I see people with one in each of there kegs?

Thanks again

Paul

[quote=“justinside”]Thank you, why do I see people with one in each of there kegs?

Thanks again

Paul[/quote]

I did this with my system (except with a bazooka “T” screen) when I first built it. In my mind, it gave me more flexibility and I liked having things be interchangeable. I later switched to a FB on the mash and a pickup tube on the side for whirlpooling in my BK. HLT still has a bazooka screen on it, even though it doesn’t pickup anything but hot water.

So it would be a safe bet for me to put a false bottom in the mash tun and a screen on the others?

Something like this - http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew … creen.html

Just so you know I have never done any all grain before.

Thanks

Paul

If you are building the Brutus 10 I assume you will be fly sparging. False bottom in the mash tun can be used in this case as a braid or tube type screen is best for batch sparging.I use a 10" SS false bottom in my Boil Kettle, it’s a converted keg.The FB in BK sits on the curve of the keg and works well with my setup using whole hops.I put the whole hops in loose and when done with the boil I use my pump to circulate the hot wort for about 10 mins to sanitize the pump & lines.Then I use the whirlpool chilling method to chill the wort using the pump and a Immersion Chiller. As I’m chilling the wort is continually passing threw the bed of hops acting as a filter.Then when chilled the wort is pumped to the fermenter. What you use in the BK depends on the type of hops you use.If you go with pellets you could use a short pickup tube elbowed to the side of the BK like some of the others on the board do.If you choose the pickup tube you will want to whirlpool the wort before draining. I don’t use anything in the Hot Liquor Tank, just a weldless fitting and a valve.

Hope this helps, and good luck, Mike.

[quote=“scrap iron”]If you are building the Brutus 10 I assume you will be fly sparging. False bottom in the mash tun can be used in this case as a braid or tube type screen is best for batch sparging.I use a 10" SS false bottom in my Boil Kettle, it’s a converted keg.The FB in BK sits on the curve of the keg and works well with my setup using whole hops.I put the whole hops in loose and when done with the boil I use my pump to circulate the hot wort for about 10 mins to sanitize the pump & lines.Then I use the whirlpool chilling method to chill the wort using the pump and a Immersion Chiller. As I’m chilling the wort is continually pasting threw the bed of hops acting as a filter.Then when chilled the wort is pumped to the fermenter. What you use in the BK depends on the type of hops you use.If you go with pellets you could use a short pickup tube elbowed to the side of the BK like some of the others on the board do.If you choose the pickup tube you will want to whirlpool the wort before draining. I don’t use anything in the Hot Liquor Tank, just a weldless fitting and a valve.

Hope this helps, and good luck, Mike.[/quote]

+1 to the above!