Fall Recipe Time

It’s time to stock up supplies for the Fall brewing season!
Who’s got their shopping list and recipes ready?
Anybody else have some homemade recipes, maybe all-grain?
What sort of things are you planning to brew next?

I’ll start:

I am brewing this Fall for winter and spring beers, none will be ready until December (it’s going to be a looooong Fall).
A Scotch Ale with extra Goldings (and higher OG)
A very floral/citrus hoppy Belgian Strong (also high OG)
A Superalt, an ESB/Pale Ale cross (a variation of my own recipe from last year)
and my very first APA. I had to dial back the recipe a bit, the calculator had my IBU’s over 110!
Now it’s around 68, I think I can do that.

What are you brewing this Fall?

I have an IPA fermenting at the moment. I would like to try and brew some variation of a spiced porter maybe. I’ve been looking on here for a good recipe, maybe something with pumpkin for the fall/holiday season. I’d love some help if you can point me in the right direction.

Nice, I too am thinking about a big bold Scot, all malty and good for long nights. Also I’m getting pretty jammed about a Foreign X Stout that’s gonna be bold and I’m gonna inoculate with some bugs and let her get a bit sour. Nasty time!!

I’m going to do a pumpkin of some sort; the Weyermann Red “apres-ski” lager that Denny linked to, and a big batch of Denny’s BVIP. I’ll probably do a quad, too.

I will have to jam out a few session beers but no clue what it will be yet. Probably two or three variations on a dunkelweizen theme.

I’m also going to create a “stout mother” wooden cask in ~August; it will hold a stout base with some Brett C/Brett A on board, plus a little lacto, to act as my sour dose to any stout I make. I like stouts and I like funk… so this seems like a fun project.

I’ve got 10 gallons of Oktober deep into the lagering cycle now, and 5 gallons of a Christmas Quad that is chugging along (albiet slowly). I may hit it with some Brett C/Brett A in the next week to play around with the flavors.

Cheers.

Just bottled an ipa. Have a hefe fermenting. Probably sneak in another summer session-maybe a bitter. Plan on making a porter soon for fall. I’m looking for something not too sweet or bold, but not boring either. Is the host’s St. Paul Porter a good place to start? Any suggestions for all grain(biab) porter appreciated. Thanks! :cheers:

Lol… I just stocked up on my summer brewing supplies, not ready to think about fall yet. Going to be brewing some IPA’s and some Saison’s in the coming months.

A winter warmer and a clone attempt at Magic Hat’s Heart of Darkness are definitely on the fall brew docket, but otherwise I hate to plan out that far in advance.

I’m making it a mission as soon as business slows down to dial in a really, really good mild recipe (always open to suggestions/starting points) that I can make a house recipe and occasionally mess it up with things like rhubarb.

I also really want to knock out a good Belgian Dark Strong.

Hoppman: I regret I have not dabbled with spiced or harvest type beers, but I think a spiced pumpkin sounds pretty good. You might look into a lager, though, like an Octoberfest or some such, if you have adequate ferm temp controls.

I’ve been trying to do the same for a while. A good base to doctor up with stuff. I think so far that a neutral nut-brown is the way to go with that, or maybe a mild pale.

Maybe next year. I have now planned my supply chain for beers to brew this winter for next summer! I’m experimenting with planning far enough in advance to let my beers age properly, as I have never before done intentionally.

Good luck everyone!

Roggenbier with a hefe yeast on a 5 gallon system, to grow up a cake for a 1/2 bbl weizenbock to be lagered.

Also, maybe an Oktoberfest (though we are running out of time), and lots of IPAs, RyePA’s, and going to start thinking about stouts.

[quote=“alphastanley”]I’m going to do a pumpkin of some sort; the Weyermann Red “apres-ski” lager that Denny linked to, and a big batch of Denny’s BVIP. I’ll probably do a quad, too.

I will have to jam out a few session beers but no clue what it will be yet. Probably two or three variations on a dunkelweizen theme.

I’m also going to create a “stout mother” wooden cask in ~August; it will hold a stout base with some Brett C/Brett A on board, plus a little lacto, to act as my sour dose to any stout I make. I like stouts and I like funk… so this seems like a fun project.

I’ve got 10 gallons of Oktober deep into the lagering cycle now, and 5 gallons of a Christmas Quad that is chugging along (albiet slowly). I may hit it with some Brett C/Brett A in the next week to play around with the flavors.

Cheers.[/quote]

What is the Weyermann Red Apres Ski lager? Is it the one from the Weyermann site?

I haven’t brewed my mild recipe for quite a while, but I add some flaked oats for a nice bit of complexity.

I’m drinking a “festbock” that I brewed about 2 months ago. Will definitely brew this one again when the keg runs dry, though I might try to make it a touch more malty next time. Also I have a Bourbon Barrel Belgian Quad aging in bottles right now. Should be perfect for fall and winter consumption. At bottling was a nice quad with a subtle vanilla and oak flavor on the finish. On deck, once a keg is free, I have a honey blonde waiting to be brewed. Here’s some of my recipes:

Fitz’s Festbock
Mailbock/Helles Bock
Type: All Grain Date: 4/3/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: TC
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.9 %
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 26.1 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 28.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [124.21 ml] Yeast 6 -(1 gallon starter)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 28.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.9 SRM
Mash Profile
Mash Steps
Name Description
Step
Temperature
Step Time
Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Notes
Once chilled to 80 degrees, racked to fermenter and put in 40 degree keggerator to get temp down. After 24 hours removed from fridge and pitched lager yeast at 50 degrees. Allowed to sit in the basement at ambient 65 degree temp to ferment for 3 weeks.

Deeper Appreciation Belgian Quad
Belgian Specialty Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 3/19/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Brewer: Brew Like A Monk base recipe for 3
Philosophers w/ my adds
Boil Size: 6.66 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Est Mash Efficiency 83.8 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.3 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.3 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 5.4 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
4.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %
1 lbs Amber Candi Syrup (45.0 SRM) Sugar 7 7.1 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 8 25.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg
Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) - (2 gallon starter)
[124.21 ml]
Yeast 9 -
3.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 10.0 days)
2 travel sized bottles Makers Mark

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 25.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 18.0 SRM
Mash Profile
Mash Steps
Name Description
Step
Temperature
Step Time
Mash In Add 19.99 qt of water at 159.2 F 150.0 F 90 min

Notes

1. Added sugar near end of boil (10-15 min).
  2. Add bourbon soaked French, medium toast oak cubes in secondary for 10 days. Soaked cubes in bourbon for 1 month. Pitched all into fermenter after 3 weeks.
  3. Bottled with 3.5 oz. table sugar priming solution.

OK. So basically, you’re brewing an IPA. :wink:

I’m planning to ease my way into fall/winter starting with an amber and a session brown in the next few weeks. Then will brew some higher gravity ales for later in winter. Thinking about brewing a stout and splitting it between two kegs for bulk conditioning. One with vanilla and one mocha. Or maybe I’ll use some oak cubes.

Edit: fixed typo

There are a couple beers I brew every fall. One using my home grown hops (they taste like goldens, so I’ll typically do something close to a bitter), and I love drinking a light Scotch ale. This year I’m thinking of doing a partigyle to make a wee-heavy and a /s60 from the second runnings. That will give me something good for the cold winter nights as well.