Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Fall and Winter Beers

So what is everyone making in preparation for fall and winter? Yeah I know, but even though I’m coming up on my first full year of brewing…sheds tear. My sneaking suspicion is that now is roughly when you would want to start making some of those hearty fall and winter beers or atleast soon. I have been thinking of the Winter Warmer kit, a stout, and maybe a brown ale.

Thoughts, suggestions…

[quote=“mppatriots”]So what is everyone making in preparation for fall and winter? Yeah I know, but even though I’m coming up on my first full year of brewing…sheds tear. My sneaking suspicion is that now is roughly when you would want to start making some of those hearty fall and winter beers or atleast soon. I have been thinking of the Winter Warmer kit, a stout, and maybe a brown ale.

Thoughts, suggestions…[/quote]
For this Fall, I brewed a barley wine last November and an RIS in March :mrgreen:

I’ve got a stout that’s ready to bottle and will probably brew a brown or a porter fairly soon. I love darker beers as the weather cools off.

This is my schedule for now, this may change… :cheers:

Amber ale
Ipa
Buffalo sweat kit
Pale ale
Smoked porter

I like to try and have something light and something dark on tap at all times

Brewed an oktoberfest two weeks ago, brown ale on thursday, and a pumpkin ale last night. the two later should be ready right when sec play starts up. Woo pig soooie!

Also have plans for a pumpkin porter coming up soon as well.

I’ve got a Honey Nut Brown Ale and an IPA in the fermenters and a Holiday Ale and another IPA on deck…

I don’t do lagers…but I just bought a 12 pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest today…should be delish!

First off, our host’s Winter Warmer kit is great IMO! I made it extract a while back and loved it even though it was before I knew what I was doing and probably underpitched on yeast, had poor sanitation and wildly fluctuation fermentation temps so I can only imagine it would be good when you know what you are doing…

Secondly, I just brewed my decoction mashed Oktoberfest and am planning a big old Baltic Porter because I have some Cali Common yeast left over I want to use. Other than that I already have small batches of winter beer brewed and bottled with a Smoked Stout, an Imperial Stout, a IIPA that is aging like a Barleywine, an English Barleywine.

And then there is the one I’m most excited for, my full five gallons of 12.9% ABV Denny’s Old Stoner Barleywine. Mmmm, tastes so good bulk aging right now but I’m still waiting two more months to bottle.

I’ll be sipping some barley wine, Belgian strong ale w/ horehound, sour brown, a dark lager.

Oktoberfest Ale and Hoptoberfest IPA for my birthday in (you guessed it!) October. Definitely looking forward to trying both brews.

I’m planning a few more stouts in the near future, too. Dark beer, here I come!

Spring…Winter…Summer…Fall…

It’s IPA all year long in my house… :slight_smile:

Come fall, I’m always playing catch up as I don’t brew in summer (too many other activities). But I hope to get a dry stout and something hoppy brewed for the fall - unlike GarretD, it is very rarely IPA time in my house and its been a while since I’ve done anything like one.

Also got to get going on my big xmas beer, I do something different every year but they always need time to age. This year I’ll try adding some cherries to a wee heavy inspired brew.

I always throw a few extra Oatmeal Stouts, Coffee Stouts, Porters, etc into the mix along with the norms during the cooler months. But, I will also be brewing several batches to be consumed in the fall/winter of 2013/2014. I have plenty of well aged BW, RIS, Belgians, and Imperial Porters on hand and ready to consume for this winter.

Whats your takes on the horehound? Been wanting to work this into a recipe for quite sometime now.

Just put a pumpkin ale in the primary. I am thinking about making a Belgian style ale for winter.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I always throw a few extra Oatmeal Stouts, Coffee Stouts, Porters, etc into the mix along with the norms during the cooler months. But, I will also be brewing several batches to be consumed in the fall/winter of 2013/2014. I have plenty of well aged BW, RIS, Belgians, and Imperial Porters on hand and ready to consume for this winter.

Whats your takes on the horehound? Been wanting to work this into a recipe for quite sometime now.[/quote]
so far, it tastes pretty good. I also started a secondary with some dark brown sugar. estimated IBU’s only 14.7. I used Saaz for flavor & aroma (which I though went well with the horehound). I used 1388 for the yeast. the horehound candy took quite a while to break down in the boil. I was thinking of adding horehound to a Saison next time. & using the actual herb instead of the candy.

It may be a bit cliche, but I’m planning to brew some darker ales starting with my next brew session. Will definitely keep a bitter, pale ale or amber and IPA in the rotation though. I’m thinking about brewing a white IPA in Nov–but using American or English yeast instead of Belgian.

No pumpkin or spice beers for me. I might enjoy a few bottles, but no way I could drink five gallons of those.

I’ve got an ALT in my bucket (this reminds me I need to swap the ice and take a gravity reading) it’s got few weeks of conditioning to go. I need to decided if I want to secondary it and get a new beer going. Or I could just buy a carboy …

I think I want to Denny’s Vanilla Porter, for holiday gifts and a winter warmer. Since I can only boil 3 gal max (I am stuck as a stove top brewer for the time being) I have to find a good version of the recipe to use.

I would also like to try the AHS Fall ESB. It would probably be a late fall ESB for me.

I have a whole batch of the Speckled Heifer to drink yet too!
:cheers:

Next on the brewing docket is the annual pumpkin ale followed by Denny’s BVIP and a Cream ale. Then I will make a very large BW for some long term aging.

Right now I have my Hoptoberfest bottled and carbing up. Will be cold conditioning them in another week or so.

Belgian Barleywine is sitting in primary now. I’ll be bottling some soon, with the rest going into secondary with some Orval dregs. I will probably crack one at Christmas, but this is more for next fall.

Next on the brew docket is an IIPA that I want to have ready for hunting season. After that will be a porter of some sort and an oatmeal stout. I will probably play around with some interesting yeast on one of them. I’m thinking of doing half of the oatmeal stout with a hefe yeast. If I end up doing a Baltic Porter, I will probably sour some of the batch in secondary with either a lacto culture or maybe some Girardin dregs.

My problem is that I wasn’t really planning ahead this spring, so a lot of this winter’s brews will probably be for next winter.

-Biere de garde (best style POSSIBLE to go with a thanksgiving meal) cellaring, should be ready by late September

-Jamil’s California Common (minus the choc malt) finishing up in the primary, considering a quick dry hop with some northern brewers

-Octoberfest in the primary as of yesterday, hoping to start lagering it by mid-september assuming this Wyeast 2206 gets off its @$$ and starts eating

-American Wheat to be kegged for Labor Day (one more summer beer!)

-BGSA with Saison II has been bottle aging since April

would love to brew a Pumking clone, but I have to find somewhere else to lager my O-fest as I only have one freezer for fermentation/lagering and I just don’t do swamp chillers.

also need to do a house IPA at some point, as I’m almost out…

Rauchbier
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Oatmeal Stout
Golden Strong

Made my RIS in March
Made my Octoberfest in March
Kegged my Christmas Ale on 08/06

I planned ahead pretty well this year to have my bigger beers ready for fall and football.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com